New
Find
Notify
Tools

Railguns...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you guys know what a railgun is?
Butch, got one you can post here?

I ordered one from Jay Young two years ago. He is starting a batch of seven next month, mine is one of them. Six to eight weeks and the Boss Lady and I take a drive over and pick it up enroute to the Oregon Coast for a long weekend.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich, there are some pretty good pics up on BR.com in the "centerfire benchrest" forum headings.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DocEd,

yes. If you go there and click on railguns, then click on Jay Young, mine will be one in the blue.

You guys have to sit behind one and carefully stick five 6mm bullets in a group that measures less than .600" from outside to outside at 300 yards to believe these iron monsters.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle Shooter rag (Jan/Feb 2010) has a piece on them by Layne Simpson.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish! But, I would need everybody on this website to send me twenty-dollars a week to feed it!

try www.benchrestcentral.com. When it comes up go to classifieds, then on the left find railgunds and check the Young models.

Rich

Watch out, the Cardinals are talking with Halladay the pitcher.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich your link does not work. Is this it? http://www.benchrest.com/cgi-b...8686&query=retrieval

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, except mine will be a bright blue. For an inveterate cast bullet shooter like me, it will be an endless source of component testing.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich- You can't get much better than a Jay Young rail gun. What barrel and action will you hang on it? What trigger and scope will you run? What calibers will you set it up with? Will you hang a wind flag scope on it? Tell us what you plan. Rail guns are the answer to big tits if you ask me. I've got the parts but haven't had the time to put mine together yet. You might forget a little about those big bores once you get into the rail gun. Would like to see you up north for an unlimited match. You will love it! Good luck.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer mine with exhibition grade wood!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pegleg,

Allan Hall called me last night, Clue #1. It will have a 308 bolt face, but he lengthens the extractor a bit and it will work with the PPC as well.

I would ask your opinion on barrels, since you are competing at this time. One 6PPC and one in 30BR calibers to start.

Jewell trigger, is there anything else?

I'd like a March scope, but will likely have a Leupold 45x45mm this coming year.

Jay has a windflag scope mount as an option. I will do that.

I bought a measure from Neil Jones CPS twenty years ago at my one Super Shoot. I went with Russ Hayden. Call me sometime and I will tell you my Skip Otto story.

That's the story to date. I do plan on coming up for a free lesson or three in the summer.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ISS- Sounds like you have it figured out. I have a Hall B on my heavy and would have upgraded years ago but the platform just shoots bugholes with what ever barrel I screw on it. I took 3rd at the Nationals back in the 90's with it and just haven't changed it. I like the Hall actions. You will have great fun with your rail-gun. Best of luck to you.
You might look at the Lilja 3 grooves as they just don't foul much and clean up in 1/2 the time but then again, there are so many good barrel makers out there it's hard to go wrong. I personally like Shilens. My old friend Butch Fisher use to get a 50 unlimited barrel from Dan Lilja and have it drilled and rifled in 6mm and get two barrels out of it. A rail looks pretty awesome with that big of a diameter barrel on it. I guess that's why they call them an unlimited. The only trouble I see with the rails is moving them around! Good on ya!

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote