Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby TRR ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted
I will start out by saying i am not a hard core comp. shooter so please be kind.
I just bought a stock Weatherby threat responce rifle in .308 win. 22in #4 barrel. I have not shot it yet and was wondering if they are known to shoot well or match up with remington stock rifles as far as how accurate they shoot? and does anybody use Weatherby actions in the target shooting seen?

Thanks, Daveo

One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add it is a Mark V.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had one in a 223 that shot pretty damn good.

Posts: 292 | Location: Indiana  | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Been shooting long range/prone/sling matches for several years and have never seen one, but that is no indication they won't work well. Should be no question as to strength w/ the MkV action, but some areas I have heard about them is that w/ multiple locking lugs(interrupted thread I think it is referred to??) is a bit tricky to machine where all make 100% contact, but as long as it holds together should not be an issue. Yours I think will have 6 such lugs as opposed to the magnum's 9?? Would hope that Weatherby does not have such an elongated throat for the chamber as they do on their magnums, but if they do will most likely get better performance by using heavier bullets, as in 190's(Sierra of course!) Max. mag length for 308 is 2.800" give or take a small bit, but if you do have the long throat and attempt to seat close to the lands and grooves, would be limited to single loading. Again that is not the end of the world either.
I am guessing that the twist is 12 and not sure whether or not they use the Krieger button barrel version?? Figure Weatherby offers some sort of accuracy guarantee, but I would think the rifle will shoot well w/ some load tuning. The 308 works about all the time it seems and hope it works out well for you. Curious how it turns out and after you have some time with it, would like to hear how it works for you.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daveo
posted Hide Post
Martin:
I finally got to shoot the TRR rifle. it shot great, small groups with Black Hills 168g match ammo.. I am very happy with the pick up of the weapon.

I have some friends that live in WV.like you. Close to Farmont In Grafton. I hope to hunt there again this year.

daveo