Find
Notify
Tools

Please refresh my memory
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Decided to break out an old favorite, and the 25+ year old components. It's a Sako/Hart 6 PPC, and I have just turned the Sako 220 Russian cases to fireform.

I understand there is a "new" method of lightly lubing the cases to get a better case... any input on this?

Thanks in advance

D

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand a light lube helps hold the case to the chamber. I always fireform before turning. You don't have as much problem with the donut and the brass doesn't shorten as much. You'll probably ask me next why I fireform my 6ppc in a 224 barrel.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Thanks Butch, I've been reading up and using the search function here and there. I understand that the cases are straighter if done .224 first... well that being the case (pun) I'll be a tad old fashioned and just want totry and get it under .2 MOA for now. Still have 300 cases never touched from that original Sako 220 Russian lot.
Thanks

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like to wear out a good barrel fireforming. A few years ago I had a wild hair and no fireforming barrel. I took a 223 barrel and drilled the bore to fit my 6ppc reamer bushings. I put a 6ppc chamber in the 22 barrel. I put a 220 Russian case with Bulleyes up to the bottom of the throat and a wax plug in the chamber and fireformed it. Some people use a normal ppc load and put a 22 bullet in the case. Either way you get a blown out case that you have very little to expand before you turn the necks. You start with a straighter case and I don't have trouble with the donut.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote