New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Remington?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have a rifle in this caliber? How does it compare with the 6.5x55? I have a Savage 110FP in 223. Can I just get a barrel for the 260 Rem or will I have to change the bolt face?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Peter,
The .260REM is a necked down 308(or a necked up 243) .

It shares the .473 head of the .308, 06, 270, 243, etc., so your .223 bolt face is too small.

The 260's Saami pressures are rated higher than the older 6.5 x55 (though most of us load it higher in 98 actions or actions other than the small ring Mausers)

Dr Arch , however, proved the small ring Swede could handle magnum pressures--you just need to add gas handling provisions --ala 98 Mauser type.

The 260 IRC it's about 1 cc shy of the Swedes volume.

Both are great rounds-- kinda 6 one way / half dozen the other.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks duggaboye. I have a 6.5x55 (Rem 700 Classic). Love the rifle but the problem (so far) is that the accuracy load is way below the max. and I would love to develop one that is a serious long distance load. I even tried Berger VLD's without success (again, so far). I just picked up some Nosler Match bullets and will try them.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
What's the factory twist 260rem vs 6.5x55?

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Remington factory twist for the Model 700, 260 was 9, Ruger 77 was 8, Browning A-Bolt was 10 IIRC

6.5 x 55 depends on maker I've seen 7.9, 8, 8.25, 8.5, 8.66, 9, 9.5 and even a 10 or 11 (can't remember for certain)

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twist for the Savage 11 FCNS in 260 Rem is 1 in 8 per Savage web site.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the rem classic and a Tikka, very accurate, in the rem I use 51 gr. rl22, nosler 120 gr ballistic tip, lapua brass,fed.match primer. hot load work up ,1 shot deer load.

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for resurrecting this thread! I will work up your load.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the difference in usable case capacity between the 260 Rem and the 6.5x55 at their standard OALs is a little more than 13% in favor of the Swede. The 6.5x55 will never be a 270 Win, but it does have a little more room than the 260 Rem.

From QuickLOAD V.3.2:

260 Remington
53.50 grains max case overflow
47.44 grains usable case capacity with Nosler 120 BallisticTip @ standard OAL

6.5x55 Swedish
57.00 grains max case overflow
53.90 grains usable case capacity with Nosler 120 BallisticTip @ standard OAL

Posts: 319 | Location: SW Idaho, USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to update the thread. I found that Nosler Match (seconds) were very accurate in my Rem 700 Classic. I did not chrono the loads but again, as posted above I suspect they are well below max.
Peter.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I shoot the .260 with two bullets.

One is the 139 Lapua Scenar for target shooting. This is a remarkable bullet.

The other is the 100 grain Sierra Hollow Point exiting the barrel at around 2730 fps.

Shown here with custom built 6.5-30x58 USO Scope, this is a heavy hitter in a varmint target rifle. This caliber has been somewhat displaced by the 6.5-.308 AI. Rifle is M70 with Lilja barrel and McMillan prone stock.

Shooting prairie rats in Montana with the .260

For those not aquainted with "pd" hunting and the rig here above, we are talking about a range in big sky country of 400 to 700 meters, and a target zone of about 2 x 7 inches.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
that looks awesome, I live in Utah and have been looking for a place to hunt some dogs down here. Are the mounds you can see all over from the dogs? How many rounds do you think you can get with that rig before you have to set it back?

duke bastian

Posts: 10 | Location: Aurora, Utah | Registered: 19 November 2011Reply With Quote