New
Find
Notify
Tools

How firm is your grip?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How firmly do you people hold on to your hunting rifles when shooting from the sand bags. I strongly believe that my rifles (.308) definetely need a strong hand so that shots don't go astray. On the other hand I also believe that by grasping the gun too strongly I start to negatively influence accuracy. That is because I am not able to always have the exact same tension in my muscels when tyhe shot goes off.
I'd be grateful if some of you would share their experiences.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
McFox I have found that I get better accuracy from the bench by holding the rifle firmly into my shoulder, but not too tight. Just enough so that rifle doesn't hurt me when it recoils. My hold on the pistol grip of the rifle is fairly loose. It seems to me that my accuracy deteriorates if I try to hold the rifle too tight.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I like to get on top of the rifle and lean into it. with a fair hold on the foreamr and a lighter touch on the grip. I put my finger into the second nuckle so my squeeze is more of a pull than a jerk.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal prefrence is to have a fairly light grip on the pistol grip of the gun an with my other hand on he bolt to hold the rifle down. Of course it is always important to hold the butt of the rifle firmly against your shoulder to prevent it kicing like a mule.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm different.On low recoil rifles like 308 and weaker,if shooting from a rest or bi-pod,I don't even shoulder it.I usually leave a gap and shoot.I've always got my best accuracy that way.I shake like an old man at a strip club getting a lap dance,so it shows if I put a death grip on it.I have tried a light grip and shouldering,but it doesn't work as well for me.You'll prolly just have to try all 3 ways and see what works for you.Using my left hand under the buttstock instead of on the fore-end works better for me too.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote