Find
Notify
Tools

Your Opinion on Mechanical Rests
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted
I was going to buy a bench rest but learned about these one piece "mechanical rests". Does anybody use one they recommend? Especially any shown on this web page?

Cabela's

The reasons I'm leaning toward one of these are, a) it better tests the rifle/ammo's accuracy, and b) it makes recoil less of a factor.

My plan would be to see how accurate the rifle was, then test initial shot point of impact. After that I would improve MY skills by shooting without any rest.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've talked with folks who've used some like the ones pictured on Cabela's web site. Problem is, the way the rifle's held by the shooter against his shoulder and with his hands is still the big factor. These rests will hold a rifle very still and enable a holding area on the target of 1/10th MOA or better. But it's not going to change much regarding recoil. It's how the shooter manages the recoil they'll still feel while the bullet's going down the barrel that effects accuracy.

To eliminate the shooter, a machine rest like the one shown below is the only way to do it.

This one weighing about 70 pounds has a semiauto rifle clamped in it. It uses a 3-point support which is very repeatable. Complete wood stocked rifles have been clamped in it and shot 40 consecutive shots insied 2 inches at 600 yards. But it costs about $3000+ today to have one made. Worth it if you must know what accuracy your rifle and ammo produces.

More details are shown at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12787226@N00/sets/72157594303093714/detail/

Bart B.

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I looked at photos of those while doing searches before posting my question. But, no way I'm getting anything like that!!

Anyone else used one of those Cabela 1-piece rests?

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty funky looking for $3000+ dollars. I'm used to much better designed ones at 2/3 the price.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Pretty funky looking for $3000+ dollars. I'm used to much better designed ones at 2/3 the price.
Yes, it's funky looking. Designed some 45 years ago, there was nothing else around like it. It's best features is there's only three points of contact between the cradle holding the rifle and the base bolted/clamped to the bench; best way to support anything with gravity holding it down.

There have been a few rifle-holding machine rests using tubes sliding on round rods, but they have way too many points of contact; their accuracy never reached the level of this one.

Bart B.

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One piece rests are not as stable as you might think, and can also be a bear to resight a rifle in. If there is a possibility that you may someday shoot organized B.R. there is also the fact that these rests are not legal in most matches. A good front rest with windage top and a solid rear bag are about as good as you can get. There are some very small groups shot off of set ups like that.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
Thanks B beyer -- that's just the kind of input I was looking for!! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Post, at first glance some rests may appear quite expensive but you do want a decent one. I know of noone that purchased a rest without a windage top, that wasn't sorry he didn't get one later on. Sinclair has a good one along with a few others that I can't remember right now, but try and stay away from the Caldwell type unless you are just fooling around. I do not know what part of Texas you are in but if there is a B.R. shoot anywhere in your area, that you could attend [as a spectater] you will more than likely see a good number of them to cast an opinion on. If one seems like something that you might like, whoever owns it would more than likely let you take a very close look at it. some shoots have someone that is selling a rest or what have you, and you might just luck out.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, he is real close to the Tomball Gun Club. A lot of BR shooters there and at least 2 registered group matches and also hunter class.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If thats the case he can probebly find something there that will fill the bill.

Bob