New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle breaks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My rifle and load for now: https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/423105527

I'm getting about 8" of muzzle jump with the 12.5 lb. setup above. I've been looking at muzzle breaks like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/image?saleitemid=576312
Its a Holland's Quick Discharge Brake, Chrome Moly

Want to hear the pros and cons of 'um.

Bobby

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Posts: 92 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 22 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cja

All muzzle brakes (sp) work to one degree or another. But they all have their trade offs. Some are noisy, some deflect gasses downward which means they cannot be used for prone shooting, some are cheap but wear out quickly. The better ones, such as the Holland's, work well but I don't think you should expect a 30-06 to be tamed to the point of a 204 Ruger. A 50% reduction in felt recoil would be a more attainable goal.

Like every thing else gunly, they have to kept clean and they ABSOLUTELY MUST be installed by someone who knows what they are doing.

JMHO

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cheechako summed it up pretty well, except that I don't know of any brakes that work worth a damn that are not quite noisy (a guy did mention one a while back and I meant to try one, but lost the link), and that starts at being loud and gets REAL loud on the shooter or surroundings, depending on the one chosen. Ear protection is essential if you have any hearing left to protect. I've got experience with KDF and Vais brakes, both work very well IMO, but both are LOUD. I've got a KDF on a .300 WM, fairly heavy rifle, but not 12.5 lbs by any means....guessing 9 to 9 1/2 all up, that reduces recoil to a very pleasant shooting level.....hard to quantify, but probably less than a light .270. I have no experience with the Holland so can't comment on it.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Cheechako summed it up pretty well, except that I don't know of any brakes that work worth a damn that are not quite noisy.
I've got a KDF on a .300 WM, fairly heavy rifle, but not 12.5 lbs by any means....guessing 9 to 9 1/2 all up, that reduces recoil to a very pleasant shooting level.....hard to quantify, but probably less than a light .270.

Thanks for the advise.
I have been told the louder they are the better they work. I'm not trying to reduce the recoil, its manageable right now, I would like to tame the muzzle hop a little.

Bobby

one of us
posted Hide Post
cj

The ones that direct the gas to the rear, toward the shooter, are the most effective because they tend to pull the gun forward. But they ARE NOISY. If you shoot alone with ear plugs covered by ear muffs you'll be OK. But your shooting buddies may avoid you unless you bring lots of free beer and hot dogs. Wink

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
cj

The ones that direct the gas to the rear, toward the shooter, are the most effective because they tend to pull the gun forward. But they ARE NOISY. If you shoot alone with ear plugs covered by ear muffs you'll be OK. But your shooting buddies may avoid you unless you bring lots of free beer and hot dogs. Wink

Ray

I have been looking at the ones that direct the gas back from the muzzle and strait out the top.
Most of the friends dont mind, they step back while I shoot a group and then the rifle has to cool down. Let them shoot the .22s for free all day and theres no complaints.

Bobby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
had a smith install a Hollands quick discharge brake on my 308 savage super stricker. it stops muzzel lift now!! yes its louder but its more shootable.wear ear plugs under ear muffs if you value your hearing.all brakes are loud some are better then others. some people wear no hearing protection...........say what????? regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjmp:
had a smith install a Hollands quick discharge brake on my 308 savage super stricker. it stops muzzel lift now!! yes its louder but its more shootable.wear ear plugs under ear muffs if you value your hearing.all brakes are loud some are better then others. some people wear no hearing protection...........say what????? regards

Thank you for your input.

About how much does your rifle weigh?
Was the muzzle lift bad before?

Thanks again.

Bobby

One of Us
posted Hide Post
your welcome,
my savage is a hand-rifle, about 4.5 to 5.5 lbs
yes the muzzle lift was bad it would tork my wrist every time and come up 8.5 too 9 inches off the front rest when i touched off one of my reloads,its got a thumb-hole stock. that Hollands brake ended that punishment,now shes really tame but loud,regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, I went ahead and ordered the Holland's QD break. From all I've read there great, very few complants. Also ordered a Jewell trigger, factory is not up to par by my standards dancing

Once again, thanks for all the input.

I will get pics and an update once installed.

Bobby

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
CJ,
try get hold of Bruce McArthur of Flint and Frizzen gunshop, Dixie Hwy, Clarkston, Mi.
I have not spoken to him in a few years but he made some of the best recoil reducing muzzle breaks I have seen and used.

Harris Safaris
PO Box 853
Gillitts
RSA 3603

www.southernafricansafaris.co.za
https://www.facebook.com/pages...=aymt_homepage_panel

"There is something about safari life that makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne." - Karen Blixen,

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
If your muzzle breaks you could always have the barrel shortened to just below the break and it should be fine. If your muzzle is broke, does it affect accuracy? dancing

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500nitro:
CJ,
try get hold of Bruce McArthur of Flint and Frizzen gunshop, Dixie Hwy, Clarkston, Mi.
I have not spoken to him in a few years but he made some of the best recoil reducing muzzle breaks I have seen and used.

I talked to Bruce today. Thinking about going over to check out his shop on Sat. My girlfriend lives about 1/2 mi form it!! Thanks for the tip!

Bobby

Bobby

one of us
posted Hide Post
These brakes (Vais Arms) are supposed to be one of the quietest on the market. Have no experience with them so can't personally attest to their quietness/loudness.

http://muzzlebrakes.com/order.htm

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Holland brake is a very good brake. As someone else has already posted, anything that makes a brake "quiet" (that is an oxymoron) reduces the amount of recoil reduction.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Shrewd (available at Brownell's) on my 300WSM. The gun weighs 18 pounds, recoils like a .243 with it on and does not jump up off the front bag of my machine rest. Take it off, and it will kick your fillings out and leap about five inches out of the bag. I always use it, to say the least...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
The ear plugs and muffs together works for me with my Blaser 338 Lapua Tac II. The muzzle hop is zero and the recoil feels like a 3006.
I tried the rifle without the muzzle break to see how it was it seemed worse than my light weight hunter 375 HH Mag rifle.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote