New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zeroing for 300 yards at 100 yards.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just in case anyone is interested here are the results of zeroing two of my rifles at 300 yards and then shooting them at 100.
Savage 223 110FP. 69 gr. SMK 25.5 grs. WW748.
4" high at 100 yards

Rem 700 HB 308 168gr. SMK 43.0 WW748 av 2557 fps
5.5" high at 100 yards.
I would be interested in seeing if this squares with other folks experience.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty well squares with the old std. come ups of 5moa at 300 from 100yd zero. 100-200 use 2moa, 200 to 300 use 3moa or 5moa total should put you on target. You can estimate some 3moa per 100yds out to the 700yd mark. Might mention that if you add some 9-10moa from your 300yd zero, you will most likely be on target at 600. These come ups are for the rounds you mention and naturally flatter shooting/high performance rounds will take less in elevation adjustment.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MFD, you are exactly right! In fact I used your estimates from previous posts ie. 100-300 come up 5 moa. That put me close with both rifles and then I just adjusted (without counting clicks unfortunately). I did discover one thing ie. it is easier to see bullet holes in white paper than in black. So, when zeroing at that range I used a blank piece of white paper with an aiming mark in the middle, and then switched to the shoot n' see.
I will be confirming and shooting for groups next time I do up there, in another 3 weeks or so. I will aslo plan on testing my Zeiss Z reticule on my 300 WM to see if that works as advertised (ie. gets me close)!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad it works for you. Several years ago when active shooting 600yd matches, would zero rifle at 100 and then adjust sights to place shot at very near 15" high at 100 and knew when I got to the match and using quarter minute sight adjustments, crank it up some 60clks and bingo, on target for the first sighter shot. When you have only couple sighter shots or none, the system made life a lot less worrisome. Occasionaly you will read about folks wondering if their sights/scope will provide enough elevation to reach extended ranges, 600-1000yds, and if you have a base line, 100, 200, etc. and know the come ups, you can put on the appropriate number of clicks at home and if it tops out before you reach that magic number, you'll know before you fire the first shot. Unless you scope has some 90moa of elevation available you are most likely to run out of adj. for the 1000yd mark.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting tip, I will try that when I get to a 600 yard range. I have a Farrell 20 MOA base on my Rem 700 HB in 308 as I recollect. You are not putting 15 MOA on top of the 15 you already have dialed in at 100 yards are you?!!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well in a way I am, but when I say that I am talking about 15 additional minutes from your 100yd zero. Let's say the scope has some 55-65moa max elevation adjustment and usually once mounted you will absorb some 15 minutes plus or minus getting it zeroed at 100yds. That only leaves you some 50moa left for elevation providing the scope has 65moa range of adjustment, and that 15moa needed to get you to 600 leaves some 20-25moa left and that may not get you to the 1000yd mark. With the 155's you would make it, barely, but with the heavier bullets, 190's you are short. Take the initial 30moa then add some 10moa for 800, 6moa for 900, 6moa more for 1000 you are on the border line. Bottom out the elevation drum from 100yd zero, count the clicks and then you will know how much elevation you have left for come ups.
Not aware of the elevation of your particular scope but once you determine that you can see whether you will need a "long range" base or not. I always preferred to use such a base for other reasons, plus you have that margin of elevation if needed. All of this varies by mfg. of optics, but you have a quality glass there and would estimate it would have suffecient range of adjustment. Usually one revolution of the elevation drum will yield 15moa and once that is established, saves all that counting if your drum is indexed. I use a white paint ball pen and so old can't read those damn small numbers and place a line or dot to index drum. If I am on at 100, one quick rev to mark puts me on for 600. It's not as confusing as my explanation is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Usually one revolution of the elevation drum will yield 15moa

Hmmm, I did not know that. I will have to check it out. Does this apply to most scopes or just "tactical" scopes?
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should stipulate that a quarter minute scope adjustment is usually the ones with one rev being 15moa or 60 clicks. Not all are that way of course, but most that I have used have that adjustment set up. When you are counting clicks to determine adjustments, those scopes with eighth minute increments take a lot of "clicking" to get where you want to go. Some mil./LE scopes will have half minute for rapid adjustment purposes(fewer clicks to get there.)
When you get "out there..." say something past 600yds to 1000yds, to make a small adjustment as 1/8th moa is a pain for the spread of impacts will unfortunately not be that close and it is often said that at 1000 yds an adjustment of 1 moa is desired or becomes meaningful. Eighth moa at 1000yds is only 1.25" and for prone/sling shooting not many can hold that close. If my shot is on the outside edge of the bullseye of 1000yd target, I have to shift POI some 20plus inches to get in the 10ring or X. Black is I believe either 42 or 44" in diameter. As you can see, in my example I would have to move 2 moa to see any real shift. Curious if you have determined your mechanical zero on the windage of your scope??

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
determined your mechanical zero on the windage of your scope??

Sorry MFD, but I have no idea what you are referring to. Perhaps I might under a different name, but I doubt it. Can you explain please?
Thanks, Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mechanical zero probably the wrong terminology to use for scopes, I tend to think in peep/micrometer sight settings. Reason I asked was wondering if you had centered the windage drum and if you had, you would have counted the total number of "clicks" from far left to far right and then placed drum in the middle. If total clicks were say, 400, then count to 200 and it is centered or the old term of "mechanical zero."
No real purpose for sporting use, but match/tactical, etc. need to have equal amount of windage available. When sighting in the scope/rifle with newely installed scope which has been centered, you can readily determine if the mount system is true to the axis of the action/barrel/bore. Just curious if you had done this and then would know the total number of minutes of adj. scope offers. Mfg's normally will have centered the scope, but have found that not always the case. Most hunters once the scope is sighted in rarely alter the windage drum for not much need to do so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah! Now I understand. No I haven't. I just figured that without adjustable bases I couldn't do anything about it anyway, and, as you mentioned, the windage would not be something that I would have to make large adjustments for anyway (unless it was way off and then I would find out about it)!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ran the data on your 223(?) with your bullet and it come out with a muzzle speed of 3077fps.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks FA! For some reason I don't have a chrono number for that bullet and load. Did you use Quickload? Just for grins I will chrono it next week! Should be a good test!
Peter.