New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pictures of a modern BR rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is my redwood, carbon fiber laminate BR rifle. It has a Bat Receiver, Jewell trigger, and 45X Leupold scope. It is set up as a LV[10.5 lbs] and with the weight system and heavier barrel is a 13.5 lbs HV rifle. I have barrels made by Kreiger, Bartlein, and Shilen in 6PPC, and I switch to a Rock barrel to shoot 30BR. I rebate the rims to fit the PPC bolt face. For the PPC, I use both 13.5 and 14 twist. For the 30BR, I use 17 twist and 18 twist.

Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, love those flames.How does it shoot swotching the barrels?Nice rifle

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I built the stock with a longer fore end to move the balance to the rear. We switch barrels a lot in the BR game. Some of the barrels shoot better than others, but I just love the Mike Rock 30 cal. 5R barrel.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch, is the stock extra "flat" towards the rear of the receiver? What is the purpose of that? Is that whee you position the front rest? I rest mine further forward.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter it makes for a stiffer stock. I position mine almost to the end of the fore end.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butch,

Bear with me as I am not familiar with the game.

Do you actually switch barrels at the shoot and if so can you describe the process?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clamp the barrel in an action vice and use an action wrench to remove it. Screw another in and tighten it and shoot it. It is done often and sometimes during a match.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy is reliable as well as headspacing?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was headspaced and it was when I chambered it, the headspace will be the same. I have some special tools that allow me to chamber all my rifles to less than .001 difference in headspace.I can interchange brass and have a very slight drag when I close the bolt with any of the barrels for this rifle. Barrels by nature are not straight and may have a different point of impact when changed. I just look in my loading book and it will tell me how many clicks to change the scope for that particular barrel.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How are those beautiful flames put on there?

Posts: 15867 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The stock was painted by Michael Kavanaugh. A lot of us believe that he is the stock painting guru of BR. Michael is a LtJg in the Navy and just came back earlier this week from a tour in Alfganistan with the marines. He airbrushed the flames and used a pinstriping brush for the accents.
R, remember the shoulder can't move when you screw the barrel on the receiver. The shoulder of the barrel will always be in the same relationship to the bolt face regardless of torque when installing the barrel.
Butch
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's hot. I like the flames. That said, I'm sticking with "tactical black" on a Rem. Police. We're not shooting competition, just sitting out in the open range sage in cammo and sneaking up on whatever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is mine

6PPC, Kelbly action, Speedy stock, Jewell trigger, Frozen luepold 45x, Buckys mount, Krieger barrel. The paint job is grotesque methinks, maybe some flat black Krylon could fix it???

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butchlambert, Did you build the redwood and carbon fibre stock? What I am interested in is how does one bed an action into a redwood stock. I live in Northern Ca. in the redwood region and happen to have some old growth redwood pieces. Mori Shultz

Posts: 59 | Location: northern CA | Registered: 28 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mori,
If you PM an email address, I will send in progress photos of building the stock. It was first bedded in Devcon titanium and then glued in with JB Weld.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchlambert- I haven't figured out how to pm you so I will give you my wifes computer address. It is - muriel_spencer 7112 @ sbc global.net (delete the spaces) Look forward to your pics and info. Thanks , Mori Shultz

Posts: 59 | Location: northern CA | Registered: 28 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mori,
It will be Monday as I'm leaving in the morning to go out of state for a memorial service.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mori,
Did you get the photos?
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
butchlambert, No- I did not receive any photos. Mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will try again tomorrow. Don't know what may have happened.
Butch