New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caldwell Fire Control
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried the Caldwell Full Length Fire Control for real, how is it's stability etc compared to other rests?

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
It depends on which other rests you are referring to. It doesn't even come close to the quality of a Farley, SEB or Shadetree. I have only messed with one a little bit, so I don't know all there is to know, but they seem to be on par with other rests in their price range.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@pointblank
Have you tried shooting from the fire control?
How was the accuracy?

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched the video. What I would want from it is a way to attach your common Protektor front bag. Looks like it uses proprietary Caldwell bags...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BlaserGun, have you ever used a Farley, SEB or Bald Eagle?

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
BlaserGun, have you ever used a Farley, SEB or Bald Eagle?

No never tried any rest yet, today I ended up with using home made sandbags from a very solid solid home made table

Thanks Bjarne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since the Fire Control rest is a "one piece", meaning the front is connected to the rear, it would be illegal in IBS and NBRSA 100-300 yd. matches. I think you would be better off with the standard front rest and a good rear bag.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of my Bald Eagle front and rear rest.
I've shot very good groups using this set up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a few pictures of a front rest my dad made for me. I have shot some impressive groups from this, so said by a friend who is a fanatic for accuracy. In the background is my $350 Sinclair rest. I think I have about $25 in the homemade rest, the bag being almost 20 of it. It's basically an adjustable sandbag. It is made from leftovers used to build the bench upon which it sets. The screws are six-inch carriage bolts for elevation. Windage is by sliding the extended leg from left to right. The tray is for the load you are shooting at that particular time. It's a little large, but it works really well. I like to think it works better than my Sinclair, but I have so much money in the Sinclair I'll be damned if I won't use it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whadda ya think DocEd?
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever blows your skirt up!