Notify
Tools

Full length neck size or partial
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted
Just a question on neck sizing.
Is it best to full length neck size or partial say two thirds of the way down the neck?
Which is the best way or is there a generally accepted rule of thumb

Does this help with accuracy, say to center the cartridge in the chamber or is it a myth.

Thanks Neil.

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neil, several things seeing as you posted this on a BR and Target forum.
1. It will be very difficult to neck size only, using a full length sizing die. Try it! You will be sizing the case walls before you are sizing the neck.
2. BR shooters used to neck size only using special dies by Wilson etc. that support the case, while sizing the neck. I still use this method. Nowadays many use a "bump" die that also sets the shoulder back just a hair. This is because, in large part, folks are shooting at very high pressures.
In general, I would ask what rifle you are shooting and what standard of accuracy you are seeking. If you are shooting a factory rifle with no modifications, I would doubt that you would see any significant difference.
Just my 2 cents.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the advice. Yes it is for a factory rifle.
I should have stated in my original posting that I am using a neck sizing die. Sorry about that.
My idea was to only neck size two thirds of the way down the neck and let the unsized portion center the neck in the chamber.

Thanks
Neil

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Neil. Yes. My Wilson neck dies just size the top 2/10 " of the neck. Just enough to hold the bullet firmly. RCBS neck dies can be adjusted to size the entire neck or just a part. Depends if you are going to hunt with these or not. You don't want the bullet falling out!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter,
I will not be hunting with this rifle as I bought it to go in the 500mtr Fly shoot here in Brisbane.
Its interesting that you only re size the first 2/10ths of your neck, I will try that as the competition only allows you to single round load for each shot.

Neil.

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."