Find
Notify
Tools

Leupold MK IV 16X and Savage 12F/TR?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products/scopes/mark-4-...rk-4-16x40mm-lrt-m1/

I'm thinking of going to this Mark IV Leupold for my new Savage 12 F/TR in .308. I really like the 140 MOA of vertical adjustment it has. Substancially more then most other models. The only thing that concerns me is the small, (1.4") of rear 30 MM tube it has behind the adjustment knobs. It would mean mounting it quite far foward. Does anyone use this scope? If so how do you like it? As far as mounts, I'm pretty well sold on a Ken Ferrel steel 20 MOA base and Burris Signature Zee Rings. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, billt, no one has answered, and I certainly have no personal knowledge of the scope in question. I would however ask why the wide range of vertical adjustment of the scope is important if you are using the Farrell base.
I would suggest a more reasonable scope (to start with), say a SuperSniper in 20X (which I have) and then spend the rest of the money saved in ammo and practice. Rifle time and wind reading ability (which comes with experience) should more than make up for any deficiencies in the scope.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post

I brought my 16X to shoot Pdogs and it is an older model with the Dot reticle. I would never ever sell it! I have also used it on my Rem VSSF 308 and found it to be extremely repeatable and very good optically.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice set up! Is that a 20 MOA base? Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
No just a GG&G riser to align the scope to my cheek weld. With the 140 MOA of up... a riser?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the 140 MOA of up... a riser?

It's actually 70 MOA. With a 20 MOA base that would increase to 90 MOA of "UP". Bill T.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Yes, Stickler Wink that is correct, 1/2 of the total.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Unless you have Burris rings, then you could concievably have +40 more in the rings. And a custom base to take advantage of some of the rest.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote