Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Longrange target shooting?
 Login/Join

posted
I shot a match this last weekend that they called an F class shoot. It was 5 shots prone at 100-700 yards for a total 35 shots. I have never shot the gun at paper for groups past 100 yards and just ran ballistics program out to 700 yards. We used the same target location(two small targets and one large target, but walked to each yardage. There were no spotting scopes and no wind flags or sighter shots. They put pasters over bullet holes between yardages.

I clicked scope out to 500 then held over at 600 and 700 yards. I was shooting my 22/6mm with 69gr MK bullets at @3600fps. I had a rebuilt 700 remington with a 26" magnum contour brl(montana brand) and the factory bored out stock. I was shooting a weaver grandslam 6-20pwr scope.

We shot a target at 100 that had a black area @ 3/8" and scoring rings of about 1/4". at 200 yards black was @ 1" and lower scoring rings were were @ 1/2". From 300-700 we shot a large target with a X that was @ 3" and black was about 12" and each ring after that was @3" wide with total target paper size was @ 42"X42".

I was pleased with my shooting. I pulled one shot at 600 yards(dang guys shooting big 7mm-300 WSM with muzzle brakes on some of em are loud right next to ya!). At 500 yards I was holding right because of wind for four shots and they hit right where I aimed and one was in 10 ring cause I shot there when the wind "died" I thought...lol

My total score was a 274. Guys that won were in the low 330 range My Groups at all distances were high on average with only 5 bullets out of 35 below center of target.

Was this shoot anything like a real F class shoot? What are your thoughs and ideas?

thank
224TTH

one of us
posted Hide Post
224 noone more knowledgeable has responded so, you may want to take a look at this:

http://www.f-classinfo.com/page1/page1.html

At our range we shoot at 200 yards using a 300 yard reduced target. As stated in the link the scoring is changed appropriately (for F class) as we often shoot F class and high power side by side.
I recollect shooting 40 rounds. At this range, folks will often clean the target with X count deciding the winner.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote