THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BENCHREST AND TARGET SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Benchrest & Target Shooting    The best long range cartridge on the '06 case?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The best long range cartridge on the '06 case?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted
Wich one would be your pick? The .280 AI? Any AI? How about the regular .270 Winchester? Or is this case not used at all?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stormbringer
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the 6.5-06. The 140 Amax and 142 Matchkings are outstanding long range bullets. You have plenty of horsepower using the 6.5-06 as much or more than the 6.5 284.

Mike.

Posts: 94 | Location: Fruit Heights, Utah | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original 30/06.

Lots of matches won over the last hundred years.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great Question, i''m sure that the 280 ai is a great on but i''m very satisfied with the plain old 270 win. no pun i own 3 of them, 30-06 another great one 4 sure, recently had one built up, i believe in longer barrels to get more speed i think its the cheaper better route to go for me,it all boils down to how much you shoot . sierria makes a match bullet in a 135 hpbt and it s a good one!!!! regards jjmp

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Longrange means different things to different shooters and or hunters. If it's hunting then energy and accuracy are part of the mix, not just accuracy alone. The size of the game dictates to some extent which would be agood selection. I have and shoot a number of fine .30-06 rifles, but I also shoot a 6.5/284 which can be closely equated to the 6.5/06. That is a winner in my book.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
The 280 AI would be my vote. But the 6.5-284, and the straight 284 has been shown to give good accuracy, with better barrel life to the 284. The 6.5's tend to go south after 1300-1500 rds with hot loads.

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post

My analysis lead me to the 7WSM with high performance match bullets around 180 grain. (3 and 4 are Cartarucio 176 and Berger 180, with 175gr .308 SMK Moly on the end.)

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay with the original 30-06. The bullet choices will keep a handloader busy for quite awhile irreguardless of your intentions.

I know what you`re thinking,...did he fire six shots, or only five?

Posts: 116 | Location: Finger Lakes, New York, | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
Oops, I forgot my main point.

Given the bullet selection now available, the .280AI would probably be an excellent choice. I don't know about accuracy performance. .30-06 based cartridges have only been fair in my experience. Perhaps the 7-08AI would be a better choice.

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not try a 25, 6.5 or 270 Gibbs?

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote