New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 22-250 troubles
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage model 112FV in 22-250 which shoots beautifully for target shooting. The problem is that the first shot is always a flier, not by a huge margin but 3 or 4 inches outside the rest of the group at 200 yards. For shooting paper it doesn't bother me because I can just shoot one for fun and then shoot for a group. For shooting at something real though the first shot is all that really matters. Any suggestions for fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Those who would give up essential liberty,
to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve
neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this from a clean bore each time? If so you may need to fire a few fouling rounds before going into the field.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should have expanded a little more. It doesn't seem to matter if it is a clean bore or not. If I take a break of 30 to 40 minutes while shooting it is still on target, but if it sits overnight the first shot is a flier again whether it's been cleaned or not.

Those who would give up essential liberty,
to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve
neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 94 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I have a similar problem with a Thompson Center Encore in 30/06. Whether from a clean or dirty barrel, the first shot is high by 2 to 3 inches compared to the subsequent shots. After the first shot, it settles in giving me 1.5 MOA or better. Leave it over night and shoot it again and it does the same thing.

If there is an answer or a cure, I would sure like to know what it is.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of glockmeister71
posted Hide Post
That's weird guys.I've never heard of that before.I've had a rifle shoot left or right between two different loads,so anything is possible.

Posts: 145 | Location: Knoxville,TN. | Registered: 12 April 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had issues with some big game guns. Was fixed when the bullets were moly coated and bore treated. On the Savage I suggest tighten the action screws to 60 Inch lbs. (not foot lbs) May help fix it as well. Good luck.

Building Dreams, What's yours?

Posts: 15 | Location: Eastern Shore of Maryland | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
Tightening the stock screws might do the trick. Could be a poor/uneven contact on the recoil lug in the stock. Wax the action, and screws, put a drop of epoxy on the stock, in the back of the recoil lug recess, and reassemble. PS The uneven contact can usually be quite visible as a shiny spot on the wood in the lug recess.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
Well Jeremy, what's been the outcome?

Ever get the problem figured out?

Please share with the rest of us so we can learn.

Bob Shaffer

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy:
I have a Savage model 112FV in 22-250 which shoots beautifully for target shooting. The problem is that the first shot is always a flier, not by a huge margin but 3 or 4 inches outside the rest of the group at 200 yards. For shooting paper it doesn't bother me because I can just shoot one for fun and then shoot for a group. For shooting at something real though the first shot is all that really matters. Any suggestions for fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Get your rifle bedded by a competent gunsmith that may solve your problem.When my gs was alive his bedding workmanship was really excellent and in demand by hunters and LE agencies,he did both of my sakos and one for a friend who fired 3 shots from his 300 win mag into the same .308 hole in his target.We all said our guns were simonized since his surname was Simon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with the post above. Bed the rifle. Sounds like something is getting hot and creating a pressure point. Another consideration is that some rifle bbls reguardless of caliber require a fouling shot or two.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
I just love it when somebody posts a problem asking for help which we all readily give, then fades away never getting back to let us know the outcome so we learn nothing.

Mad

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
You got that right---happens all the time! mgun