THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    How do you get a B-36 out the door?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you get a B-36 out the door?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I once worked in this factory and saw this old photo there. It was interesting to find it on the web. This is what they did to get a B-36 out the door due to its tall tail.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
That is a very neat photo.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just saw today on Military Channel that the motors were piston engines. I had assumed that they were turbo props.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Burlington Rd:
Just saw today on Military Channel that the motors were piston engines. I had assumed that they were turbo props.

Also known as the "Wasp Major", 6 Pratt & Whitney R-4360-53s of 3800 hp each powered that bird.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you search the internet there is a listing of all the B-36 crashes. They make for interesting reading. It had to one of the worst turkeys of all time.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
quote:
Originally posted by Burlington Rd:

Also known as the "Wasp Major", 6 Pratt & Whitney R-4360-53s of 3800 hp each powered that bird.

Almost - she also had four J-47 GE urbojets with some 5500LB/Thrust eeach. A former B-36 plane Capt that used to work for me said it was about normal to report the pilot that he had "Two turning, two burning, two loafing and two smoking" whilst they were in flight with this monster. He also said it would stay in flight for so long the crew used a calendar insteqd of a clock. I really don't know how long it would fly but the stories he told were remarkable. I do recall seeing a couple of these things fly over and they would truly shake the earth.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember them flying over northern Utah when I was a kid. I presumed they going from Texas to Alaska and back. They were very high up and the sound they made was very distinctive.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of them crashed in northern B.C. still carrying nukes! There was a special about it on TV a while ago very gripping story. One they managed to eject over the ocean but the other would not go. Luckey the Nukes were safe as it crashed in some of the best big game hunting area in B.C.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the mid or early fifties (more likely) I saw a B-36 which may have been landing at Midway airport. But as their runways are more like whatever fits into a square mile at a diagonal I don't know if that was enough. On the other hand I did see an XB-49 with gear down heading for what was likely runway 240 (or thereabouts). A large flying wing is definitely weird looking configured for landing.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote