Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
Heading here end of October....

http://www.lakehavasuseaplane.com/

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe has been around a long time he is a good guy.

I got my float rating in 1991 at lake Havasu with Joe Shebly. It is a fun place to fly floats.

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
That is certainly on my to do list! I have been shopping for Cubs for more than 2 years now and in the process considered one with floats. The insurance was gonna be in the 2K range! If I had a lake house I probably would have got one! Have fun!! thumb

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The ideal `dream' job - flying an Otter or Beaver in Alaska out of Lake Hood with the 375 H&H in the back seat.

Raftermann USMC - ATP B-737, CE-500

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of devine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

Posts: 7 | Location: KSLC | Registered: 02 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I got my float plane rating down at Brown's in Florida back in the 70's. I used to have a Citabria on floats and a Teal Amphibian. I've included a picture of a Teal for those who aren't familiar with the a/c.

Floats sure does make flying Canada and Alaska a hoot!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Did mine in Seattle in the 70's--
in a T-Craft on Edo's--

do you know how long an 85hp T-Craft with 350#'s of people and 1/2 tanks stays on the water--

until somebody in the boat lane makes a wake for you to jump off of dancing

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice thing about the Teal is that the Engine, and Prop is way up high, just in case you hit the water hard, and splash a bit....

Or encounter a Rogue Wave on landing. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The really strange thing about the Teal is that it went faster with the gear down than up.

It was a joy on the water, but flying off land, if you didn't immediately get the nose down on take-off, the damn thing, even with neutral or slightly forward stick, would leap off the ground with absolutely no aileron control. The solution was to push the stick full forward when you began your roll and "catch" the nose before it hit the ground and then rotate at about 45 knots (I learned to fly F-4's the same way). Airborne, the Teal was a stable joy and flying off water was a pure delight.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Rotated an F-4 at 45 knots? (Sorry..couldn't resist the shot at a literal translation of "The same way")

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote