THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Mars helicopter performance question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mars helicopter performance question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The published density altitude for the surface of Mars is about equal to 100,000 ft on Earth. The highest altitude a gas turbine powered helicopter has ever reached on Earth is around 40,000 feet. The usual operating altitude limit is around 25,000 feet.

So, how can a 4 1/2 pound electric/solar helicopter, with contra-rotating blades, leap off the ground on Mars and zip off like a bat out of hell at a 100,000 ft density altitude? Given the shape and diameter of the blades they don't seem to be too specialized other than wider roots. Is NASA not telling us something about the Martian atmosphere?

Posts: 3673 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Google it. Plenty of info out there on it.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I totally forgot to include Mars gravity. Only 38% of that on Earth. That would make it equal to around 30,000 ft density equivalent which is doable.

quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
Google it. Plenty of info out there on it.

Posts: 3673 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well it just had its last flight. It broke part of one rotor blade they assume on landing after a data loss. But it did perform better than expected. JPL is working on another improved one for a future mission. As a side note this first flight of a helicopter on another planet carried a small piece of the original Wright flyer to celebrate the first powered flight on earth.

Between their rovers and now helicopter they have done remarkably well. All have survived far beyond their design limits and much has been learned.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two firsts on a different planet, flight and crash. Wink

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
Two firsts on a different planet, flight and crash. Wink

Welcome to the real world of aerospace when you attempt something for the first time. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Planned for five flights.
Completed 72.
Like going on a first safari for a few plains game and a full bag Big Five hunt is thrown in free.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote