Find
Notify
Tools

UPS Airbus crash BHM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Any thoughts from the AR pilots out there on this month's accident in Birmingham?

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I am no pilot, but live about 2hrs South of Birmingham, and have an uncle who is a captain for Airtran that lives there. He has heard nothing about the accident, and I haven't seen anything in the news lately. It is quite ironic that I had ordered flowers for my girlfriend that were being shipped UPS, and just happened to be on that flight.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Any thoughts from the AR pilots out there on this month's accident in Birmingham?

Not enough information out there yet to form any opinions.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Talked to my uncle the other night about the crash. From what he has gathered, that morning runway 24 was the runway to be used in the flight plan. That morning runway 24 had been closed for maintenance and the plane was diverted to runway 18. This runway is shorter than 24, but still sufficient. However, this runway has some terrain that requires the approach angle to be a bit steeper than 24. His theory ia that they checked off on landing on 24, then it was changed to 18. Instead of checking off on 18, the landing parameters were still for 24. His thought is that they came in a bit low and at the wrong approach angle and didn't see the terrain due to the fog and low-light that morning. The plane clipped the tops of the trees, ingesting them into the engines, which is why witnesses said the plane was aflame before impact into the hillside. I apologize for the non-technicality of this or any incorrect terminology as I am not a pilot. Sad case in any regard.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Yes, runway 18 is much shorter than 24, and certainly Birmingham is very hilly no matter where you are.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote