New
Find
Notify
Tools

First SOLO done
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
First flight up was last Saturday. 7 days later I soloed at 7.5 hours. Was going to solo at 6 hours, but the forcast called for a bit higher winds in the afternoon, so we held off to get some better crosswind stuff than we had earlier. Did my solo with about a 15 knot quartering wind. The plane is a C172 with the motor bumped up to 180hp and the STOL kit on it. If the weather holds for tomorrow morning We'll be knocking out the dual cross country. dancing

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on you!! Smiler Get some grass landings in while training as well. My 1st plane was a 172, now have a Maule.

m4220

Posts: 217 | Location: US | Registered: 15 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dual instruction of cross wind Landings is very important, make sure you get plenty of it. Congratulations!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cross wind stuff we did was running 10-12 kts a 90 degrees to a narrow secondary runway. I made 6 landings in that before the solo. Not a big issue to change the direction of the slip.

Right now we're waiting to see what the weather is going to do. Getting out of here wouldn't be an issue, but about 30-50 miles north of here is not doable under VFR. Just don't want to get stuck not being able to get back. I have options for the cross country plotted both north-east and south. Just have to see what direction the weather is trending.

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Talk about cross wind landings, check this out.

Mike

Posts: 21283 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your solo!

I own a Maule mx7-180c. X-wind landings are bitch. Focus on technique and fly by the numbers. Don't worry about how many hours and how little time it takes you to do x, y, z...

I see a ton of student pilots trying to rush their training (not suggesting you are).

Being a pilot is about making good decisions. There are a lot of dumb pilots, a lot of old pilots, but not many old and dumb pilots!

JDA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. clap
I wouldn't let my instructor out of the plane until "I" was ready. It wasn't about how fast I could do it with me, it was whether or not I was ready. Aced the written and passed the check ride but had a couple of "experiences" with the wind. Think I'm too old and fuzzy most of the time hilbily

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That's a pretty big day! 180 hp STOL 172 huh? I like it! Throw some tundra tires on that thing and I can find a use for it.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being a pilot is about making good decisions. There are a lot of dumb pilots, a lot of old pilots, but not many old and dumb pilots!

Well ... I know of one. Roll Eyes but he is CLEARLY an exception to the rule. Big Grin

He's only alive because God must had some need for me ... I mean him, to be on this earth.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
Big congrats! One of those days in your life you'll never forget.
I got my PPL last July and am now about 1/2 way through my Instrument.
It just gets better and better....

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote