New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flyboys
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Flyboys is a must see new movie,You guys gotta check it out,its awsome! thumb thumb

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blackbearhunter:
Flyboys is a must see new movie,You guys gotta check it out,its awsome! thumb thumb

Is this movie based on the book "Flyboys?" I just started reading the book again - lots of good data here.

But you may safely bet your butt - both cheeks - that I won't be posting up any quotes, etc on this forum.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its a true story of the ww1 flying aces ,dogfights,old by wing & tri wing planes,zepplins,etc.really good movie.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope someone who knows old planes & history can tell me what the names of the planes where in the movie.Wasnt there a ace ,last name Geiger ?that flew a lot of missions in those days?I think he was a us marine general?I kept thinking about him while watching the movie.I love those old early planes!Those brave men usually only lived 6 weeks they were told when they started!!I dont think the parachute had been invented yet....

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
I just bought the DVD - pretty good. It is based on the Lafayette Escadrille during WWI.

Here is a link with a desription of the planes and aviation of WWI - very interesting.

http://www.wwiaviation.com/toc.shtml

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats it!Great link,Thanks clem! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
blackbearhunter,

Most of the planes shown in Flyboys were French Nieuport 17s and German Fokker Dr.1 Triplanes.

Parachutes were invented before the war, were routinely used in WW1 by personnel on both sides in observation balloons, and later by German pilots by 1918. Allied High Command, however, felt that parachutes would only encourage cowardice in pilots who then might prematurely abandon their airplanes when in trouble. Eeker

A google search for Geiger shows that a Roy Stanley Geiger, General U.S. Marine Corps, served with 5 Group, Royal Air Force at Dunkirk, France. He commanded a squadron of the First Marine Aviation Force and was attached to the Day Wing, Northern Bombing Group. For his bravery flying anti-submarine patrols and front-line bombing missions he was awarded the Navy Cross.

Another terrific WW1 aviation website you might enjoy is - theaerodrome.com

Best wishes,

Jim

"The appearance of the law most be upheld--especially while it's being broken." Boss Tweed

Posts: 197 | Location: The Great Prairie | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great info!Thanks Jim,I love those old airplanes & stories,Great adventures! thumb