THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    The Herc...did I post this one already?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Herc...did I post this one already?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Maybe...been a while if I did...there is a hell of a lot of truth here...

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep that is about right, Good Motivational Poster. Just right for every Army and Marine Barracks around. Kidding aside, 1954 one year before I was born. Another fine Airplane I will never get to fly.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been to some of the world's most awful places in the Herc, and to some of the world's most fascinating, also. There is nothing quite like a Herc. Nothing that big will successfully tread where it has trod.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
During Vietnam in 66 to 68, the old man was stationed at Pope AFB at Ft Bragg...

unusual for an AF wing, evidently there were 5 Squadrons attached to the 464th.. all C 130s..

they supported Ft Bragg and the 82nd, plus airborne training in 66 the 101st was still there before going to Ft Campbell..

there was also constant Guard flights in and out of Pope daily...it got so I could identify a plane just from the sound of its engines...

the units at Pope use to go TDY to Vietnam... they could be gone for 90 days TDY, however when they returned home, you couldn't even tell what their original camo patterns or colors were...

they were patched all over the place.. body panels replaced, wings and tails also...

in 90 days they had been shot to shit, patched up and returned stateside... re camo'ed and back in service...

it amazed me how tough those birds were...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jet: The only other aircraft with more romance than the Herc is the C-47, if you ask me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16508 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a crew chief on C-130A's and E's in Viet Nam and all over the area from 1967-1970 and they are the 4x4 of avaition! Would love to go for another ride on one before I leave this earth!!
You live on one for 3 years and you will never forget them!!! Some of the earliest ones from the 50's are still performing!!!!
for some interesting stuff and pics, go to:
HerkyBirds.com.
Ken

Posts: 34 | Location: Columbus Montana | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Jet: The only other aircraft with more romance than the Herc is the C-47, if you ask me.

I flew both. Had a tremendous amount of fun in both. The DC-3 had the worst brakes of any airplane I ever flew.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jetdrvr:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

I flew both. Had a tremendous amount of fun in both. The DC-3 had the worst brakes of any airplane I ever flew.

Jet: I'm so envious. These two aircraft are such classics. The DC-3 has lovely lines.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16508 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A C47 and a few T6s fly over the house occasionally and I love the Recips sound.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some like Mozart, but to me, there is nothing sweeter than the sounds of a big radial engine at takeoff power, or at cruise, growling overhead on a calm evening.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jet: We've had Chinese crews training in DC-6 fire-retardant bombers over the local hills for the past week. I'm loving it!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah. R-2800's. Must sound sweet...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
had some time in the old c-47 and c-124 loved the 47 hated the 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the aluminum overcast. I used to watch 124's try to accelerate to V1 down at the old Allbrook Air Force Base in the Canal Zone on hot, calm days. They'd run them up at the end until the thing was almost jumping the brakes, with compression contrails spiraling off the props and take a run at it, get about halfway down the runway and abort, time after time. Scary airplane, and I even have a jump out of one at Ft. Bragg. Ugly old airplane.

posted Hide Post
I miss my Herc rides...been all over the world in them. Favorite place to go...Midway Island and Kwajilean. Hmmmm, we always seemed to break down at Hickam.

Retired USN.....finally

Molon Labe.

Posts: 27 | Location: North to Alaska, maybe Nevada. | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote