Find
Notify
Tools

Online CFI renewal
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted
As I down load and print the Gleim refresher courses I can surf this sight. It is hard finding a local course to attend so I have been using Gleim for the past three or four refreshers. They do a good job but I am wondering how it compares with the other courses? Is it possible to "learn fast" and speed up the process with any of them?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jepp/AOPA course makes you look at each page in each topic area before you can test, but there is no minimum time. You do have to pass a quiz at the end of each topic, though. I find it takes me 16 or 18 hours to do the whole thing, but it beats the heck out of the hotel conference room for a weekend.

You have to download and print the Gliem course? The Jepp course is all online and all you have to print are test results and paperwork.

Doug

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just go to the tests and if you have a question you can go back into the course material and look it up. It doesn't keep track of your time.

At least not the last time I used Gliem. I have been renewed on the last two by the FSDO due to the volume of folks I was signing off at the time being an instructor and check airman for my carrier. Also being a Captain for a 121 carrier qualifies but that is all about to change, let me know how your Gliem course goes I'll be due in April of 2010.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The advantage of the Gleim is that you can work at your schedule. It is geared for a 16 hour course and when you take the T-F study questions there are pop-ups warning you if you go too fast but if you know the answers - or even if you don't as they don't keep track of that - it doesn't take long. Then you can download the text of each chapter and each final test can be open book and if you are at all familiar with the material it all can be done in around 8 hours.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4196 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started out with the AOPA/ Jepp version. I did American Fliers once, and for the last three or four renewals Gleim. Of all of them and going and siting in a hotel for two or three days and add travel to it, Gleim is by far the best. Its quick simple and it works with a dial up well enough. Will be doing my 17th renewal next Aug. I have given some though to just not bothering with it anymore, but the Flight Instructor's certificate takes effort to get, an really very little effort to keep.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote