THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    I used to do this for a living
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I used to do this for a living
 Login/Join

posted

Posts: 27 | Location: North to Alaska, maybe Nevada. | Registered: 15 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
That guy makes it look easy! Now add bad weather, night time ops, high winds and fatigue from a stressful mission! You guys definately have very large balls of steel between your legs!

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look, let's get some reality here.
First off, most Mil jet jocks are young, and therefore know no better.

Then, see them lights on the deck? You just foller them in.

Stuff up, just go around, no extra charge.

They only have to "hit" the deck somewhere within the wires. Landing doesn't come into it.

Miss the wires? another free go-around.

Night? lit up like a Christmas tree.
Windy? They turn the wee boat into the wind.
Bad weather? They have thingies to be guided in with.
(I wouldn't be supprised if it can be done full hands off)

The boat gets much bigger as you get closer.

Piece of cake.

Mind you, things do seem to happen rather quickly.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
The three greatest sensations in life are a good dump, an orgasim and a successful night cat shot. Funny thing is that you get to experience all three at the same time. Kind of like getting hurled into a Coke bottle at 140 Kts. (This is not original, but funny as hell and the damn truth).

I did it all that stuff in an A-4 a very few times and also carrier qualified in an F-9 in training, but my heroes were the guys who flew bigs assed A-3's or wobbly-bricks like F-8s off of 27 Charlies. Damn little boats, that class.

I remember back in the late 60's someone wired F-8 pilots for blood pressure, etc., bending alluminum over Red River getting shot at by SAMS and MiGs. To the suprise of not a single aviator, the pulse was highest coming back aboard.

And God bless the Vigilante pilots. Those planes were hell to bring back.

But as they say: It's all a piece of cake if you're smooth in the groove.

The day before I qualified in the F-9, I flew out to the boat in an S-2. I de-planed and went down to the hanger deck, only to hear "Aircraft in the water off the starboard side!"... running to the elevator, I saw the plane I flew in on bouncing off the hull in two pieces and the pilot and co-pilot face down in the water. Killed them both... Ops were cancelled until the next morning when it was decicded that pilot error was the cause, but I was the first guy off the cat that day. I don't think I crapped for a week after that launch, but as the above post kind of states, with youth there is ignorance.

Heck, I usually had a problem just finding the damn carrier, much less landing on the thing.

But I'd give a testicle just to get to do it again.

Gear, flaps, hook, harness, speed brakes, armament, spoilers..

"Ringneck 21, ball, fuel state 1.5"....

"Roger ball"

Meatball, lineup, angle-of-attack...

And getting an O.k. 3 wire was like winning the lottery.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7543 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
The three greatest sensations in life are a good dump, an orgasim and a successful night cat shot. Funny thing is that you get to experience all three at the same time. Kind of like getting hurled into a Coke bottle at 140 Kts. (This is not original, but funny as hell and the damn truth).

I did it all that stuff in an A-4 a very few times and also carrier qualified in an F-9 in training, but my heroes were the guys who flew bigs assed A-3's or wobbly-bricks like F-8s off of 27 Charlies. Damn little boats, that class.

I remember back in the late 60's someone wired F-8 pilots for blood pressure, etc., bending alluminum over Red River getting shot at by SAMS and MiGs. To the suprise of not a single aviator, the pulse was highest coming back aboard.

And God bless the Vigilante pilots. Those planes were hell to bring back.

But as they say: It's all a piece of cake if you're smooth in the groove.

The day before I qualified in the F-9, I flew out to the boat in an S-2. I de-planed and went down to the hanger deck, only to hear "Aircraft in the water off the starboard side!"... running to the elevator, I saw the plane I flew in on bouncing off the hull in two pieces and the pilot and co-pilot face down in the water. Killed them both... Ops were cancelled until the next morning when it was decicded that pilot error was the cause, but I was the first guy off the cat that day. I don't think I crapped for a week after that launch, but as the above post kind of states, with youth there is ignorance.

Heck, I usually had a problem just finding the damn carrier, much less landing on the thing.

But I'd give a testicle just to get to do it again.

Gear, flaps, hook, harness, speed brakes, armament, spoilers..

"Ringneck 21, ball, fuel state 1.5"....

"Roger ball"

Meatball, lineup, angle-of-attack...

And getting an O.k. 3 wire was like winning the lottery.

Ah, a quote on something we hear and know very little about - the old 'Vigilante' I'll buy the pie and coffee if you wish to sit and talk about them sometime. Did you fly this 'chine or just see them? I don't think anyone really appreciates the capibilites of the 'vigilante' as that sucker would really 'haul the mail' - I've watched them on radar do some amazing stuff. I believe they were all RA5C's at the time as no one seemed to thik they were still operational as A5's. This would have been early sixties. And finally, this was a huge aircraft, not a small thing like the A4 "Grasshopper" - a beautiful site to see with the long cylinders of napalm tumbling out to 'Scratch your back'. Also liked to see the A4 come stright down in a vertical dive, fire a missle and then straff the tow with gun. Ah, fond memories.

"Catching the third wire!"

(Photo from Brad Jones
stationed aboard the USS Kitty Hawk)

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks very easy! No obstructions to clear, and no crosswinds!

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heck, I could do that with my Champ and not even need the arresting wires! LOL

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That weren't no pinkey!!!

Posts: 44 | Location: Washington state | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful aircraft!

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Hell, anyone who can do that must be at least a demi-god..... I have enough trouble getting a cessna or a kitfox on the ground on a fine day without bending something or having as heart attack..... jumping

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck, don't encourage 'em.

It's not easy to grease on a light aircraft in all them African thermals. Cool

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote