THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    My soul would leave my body the first time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My soul would leave my body the first time
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
https://youtube.com/shorts/Afe9zRHJnxA?feature=share

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38460 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
They would have to surgically remove the seat cover out of my ass after that one!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had to practice spin recovery when I was going for my Private Pilot ticket.
First time around was fairly interesting.
A few years later, I took some aerobatic training in a Citabria Decathalon.

Posts: 382 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Pffft.

Just basic flight training.

Give it a try in a tactical jet!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

I remember doing stalls in a C152 Aerobat. All ok until full flap stall. Right wing dropped and I punched right rudder instead of left Eeker Sure was an interesting few moments Wink

Of course it is a standard spin entry....

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I wonder what a soulless body looks like when wretching uncontrollably.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
When I was a student Naval Aviator, and later once I got my wings, we had to do OCF (Out of Control Flight) training once a year. We did it in the T2C. Reason being it had a straight wing and would mimic the more advanced tactical jets in terms of what control inputs would get it out of the spin. What it didn't mimic was the difficulty of getting one of those advanced jets out once it started the spin.

Most advanced jets, if they spun, would typically spin inverted. Hard to visually tell when looking outside during the spin. Regular spin was similar to Jeff's video. The roll and yaw were in the same direction. Inverted, the roll and yaw are opposite. And of course in the T2, the rate of rotation was about 10 times as fast as shown in Jeff's video. So fast that once you stopped the spin, your inner ear would continue spinning, but now in the opposite direction. I puked on every single one of those hops. barf

Anyway, to tell the type of spin, upright or inverted, when upright, the needle and ball were both displaced fully to the same side. Inverted, the needle and ball would be fully displaced, but in opposite directions.

One of the better methods for getting the T2 into an inverted spin was to pull up to 90 degrees straight up, hold that attitude, then half right rudder, full left rudder, then full right rudder and full forward stick and full left aileron. Completely cross up the controls. Full throttle throughout. The aircraft would depart from flight and tumble uphill for a couple hundred feet before settling into the spin. As long as you held the controls, the spin rate would tighten.

Came close to spinning the A4 a couple of times. Got the F/A-18 out of a spin after about 1 turn once as well. Spinning either of those 2 jets was typically an invitation to taking the silk ride down to the ground (ejection and parachute).

Good times.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
When I was a student Naval Aviator, and later once I got my wings, we had to do OCF (Out of Control Flight) training once a year. We did it in the T2C. Reason being it had a straight wing and would mimic the more advanced tactical jets in terms of what control inputs would get it out of the spin. What it didn't mimic was the difficulty of getting one of those advanced jets out once it started the spin.

Most advanced jets, if they spun, would typically spin inverted. Hard to visually tell when looking outside during the spin. Regular spin was similar to Jeff's video. The roll and yaw were in the same direction. Inverted, the roll and yaw are opposite. And of course in the T2, the rate of rotation was about 10 times as fast as shown in Jeff's video. So fast that once you stopped the spin, your inner ear would continue spinning, but now in the opposite direction. I puked on every single one of those hops. barf

Anyway, to tell the type of spin, upright or inverted, when upright, the needle and ball were both displaced fully to the same side. Inverted, the needle and ball would be fully displaced, but in opposite directions.

One of the better methods for getting the T2 into an inverted spin was to pull up to 90 degrees straight up, hold that attitude, then half right rudder, full left rudder, then full right rudder and full forward stick and full left aileron. Completely cross up the controls. Full throttle throughout. The aircraft would depart from flight and tumble uphill for a couple hundred feet before settling into the spin. As long as you held the controls, the spin rate would tighten.

Came close to spinning the A4 a couple of times. Got the F/A-18 out of a spin after about 1 turn once as well. Spinning either of those 2 jets was typically an invitation to taking the silk ride down to the ground (ejection and parachute).

Good times.

I only took the T-2 on inverted spins under duress - I hated the negative g pulses. We had 2 guys who loved that stuff so I had very few inverted spin hops for the TA-4J guys who came back for that hop. The A-4 had a tendency to spin inverted if you ran out of airspeed in that +10 to -10 degree straight up window, which was easy to fall into in a rolling/vertical scissors.

The military (pre fancy jets) used to love to cut spin/OCF training since it "never happened". My uncle got into a spin over N. Vietnam in an A-7 on an Iron Hand mission (asymmetric load with the Shrike). Most recovered easily by releasing the stick and if no immediate recovery, put in rudder opposite to the ball (except inverted) and it would pop right out.

Even the T-2, you had to hold the controls in the pro inverted spin position or it would pop right out.

This is actually a concern for the current crop of airline pilots - most have never seen a spin or OCF condition. We used to tumble the T-2 end over end and say "Recover". With training it was a piece of cake.

Good times.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard…. That a RAAF PC9 with a senior officer at the controls and a senior foreign officer got into a spin and couldn’t recover so took the silk route. Just before they bugged out, but too late, apparently realized their arse was off the seat a bit, inverted spin. So I am told Wink

DRSS

Posts: 1905 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that looks like my basic flight training I had in the 1970's. My instructors were military moonlighting at a civilian airport. They put us through everything to toughen us up. Glad they did it. I will admit the first time that happened it tightened up my bung hole! After that it was fun.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Better learn this one!! Most all airplanes will spin, except Ercoupes!! Best to experience this with a good instructor, and learn the recovery routine!! It will eventually happen... when you least expect it!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2559 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote