THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    corvair motor wanted -- but it has to be specific
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

corvair motor wanted -- but it has to be specific
 Login/Join

Picture of jeffeosso
posted
a 164 cid, 65-69, 110hp -- I'll need the engine code .

RD, RF, RH, RX, RK, RA, RE, RG, RJ

i doubt anyone has one in their shop, but worth asking first .. I'll call the corvair club of houston later

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38531 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Isn't one of the newer engines a better choice for your build project?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4233 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
passed a completely restored red corvair corsa convertible on the road today.

Posts: 6406 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Louis -- that's kind of a funny question -- I know what you mean -- and i am trying to be funny, so if this comes over rude or preachy, i don't mean it to be..

in that it strikes me funny that the corvair 164 engine is newer than MOST aircraft design engines..

for the bd-4c, I fully plan to use a SLIGHTLY OLDER DESIGNED engine -- the io-470-u, which basic design comes from 1955, and the certification from 1963 ..

the corvair motor will be a 64 year design, as the 65 is slightly different...

the io-360 either one is from 55 or 62, depending, the o-520 from 63 -- now the io-550 would be AWESOME, and from 1983 ..

looking at a a 2 seater first -- and i can BUY a built corvair for about the cost of a core or needs rebuild/prop strike certified motor ... i can build one for the price of the crank in a 470, and there are 400+ hours vairs out there.. as well as one over 1500 hours..

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso

No offense taken as I know exactly what you are saying. Except for some enhancement most of the certified engines seem to improved versions from back when. Certified aircraft engines are very expensive, but then there is no shoulder to pull off on during engine failure.

The new fuel injected Rotax 912 would be nice, but is right up there in cost also

I could not think of the automaker the other day when I posted, but I was thinking of the Suzuki as a source of a reasonably priced durable engine.

Challenge your limits

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I keep hoping for mazda to embrace aviation .. just because I don't have my license doesn't mean I haven't been passionate about this for decades ...

This plane, with a 100-120 hp corvair motor, is THE THING to keep fliers in the sky --
http://www.krsuper2.com/index.html

then again, I believe if you can drive then "loosing medical" shouldn't apply -- sure, you might not should fly 400 people at a time .. but yourself in a private plane?

I good corvair motor is likely to have about the same TBO.. real TBO, not an unfunded lie, as most 100-120hps motor ..

TBO, to me, should be "if it needs work before this time, the manf/repair station will rebuild the motor for free" ..otherwise, its a suggestion of wishful thinking ...

seriously, how often do you see a TBO of 1500 go 1500 SMOH without major repairs?

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
As I understand it the original 4 opposed engine in the Subaru was an aircraft design modified for car use.

Wrongo on my part, read something today the Suzuki is only 60 horses, NOT near what you need for that fast cruise

Build it and fly til ya can't fly no more.

Challenge your limits

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Louis --
the corvair gives about 110hp, more or less, at 3100 rpm, direct drive, and weighs about 235LB

the most 'fisticated part, outside of the panel, would be the elec fuel pump .. its really just a o-164!

the subaru makes about 150 hp, at 5500 rpm, with a gear reduction drive, radiator, etc. comes in at nearly 300 LB, and is FAR more complicated to get running

the 13b mazda, or even 20b, can make from 180 to 225 without turbo, and north of 300 with turbo - at 7500-8800 rpm gear reduction, etc etc .. weighs about 350-385 depending ..

the Subaru/mazda can be setup to run lower Rs, but still weighs the same with much less than advantageous HP ....

the vair runs 3100-3400 max rpm, and has alot more torque than either at max prop rpm ...

and is simple, light, and fairly cheap ... and if you have to have 125-150 hp, you can bore it with VW jugs.. or add any number of turbo/superchargers .. weight.. heat...

simplest auto conversion, and likely cheapest..

i want to do a mazda, if i could find a 20B ..

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
pm sent

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
I keep hoping for mazda to embrace aviation .. just because I don't have my license doesn't mean I haven't been passionate about this for decades ...

I couldn't agree more. I've been to the rotary aircraft engine sites and the data is compelling. However, I feel they are using it all wrong. Everyone is gearing it down and replacing recips with it. The bloody thing hums at 10,000 rpm! Efficiency sucks at low rpms but excels at high levels. Why not play to the strong suit? My belief is that it should be used as the power source for a cold jet ducted fan engine. Sort of a "poor mans turbine". The engine could be totally air/oil cooled with proper oil volume and heat exchangers; even extracting additional thrust from waste engine heat (like the P51 radiator of WWII).

Posts: 3690 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote