Find
Notify
Tools

Yorktown
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
Was in Charleston last week. I didn't know the Yorktown was there. It was a gray day.

A6e

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics! I didn't realize the Yorktown was there either. I may have to take a trip to see her.

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Did ya have a chance to go through the sub? Eeker

I can't imagine being on one of those and getting depth charged.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont' live anywhere near there so cannot visit Yorktown but I have been aboard the Lady Lex (U.S.S. Lexington) in Corpus Christi, Texas. Amazing tour. Definitely not a cruise ship.

Clem mentioned the sub. I have been to the San Jacinto monument - site of the final battle for Texas' independence from Mexico - and they have the Battleship Texas there along with a fleet submarine. The Texas was of the same generation as Arizona. Definitely no frills there. The sub was scary. I cannot even imagine serving one on of them much less sitting through a depth charge attack. Brrrrrrrrr.

Were you guys aware that the vast majority of tonnage sunk in the Pacific War was sunk by submarines? It's true. The sub skippers were by and large very aggressive. If they sighted something flying the Rising Sun they did their best to send it to the bottom. That's why our subs were so much more effective than the (essentially technologically equal) Japanese subs. Japanese skippers were looking for the glory of a BIG KILL. They ignored troopships, supply ships and even smaller warships. They wanted cruisers and above. Our skippers just wanted to "kill Japs"! They did that and hamstrung their logistics chain.

`

A wise man’s heart directs him toward the right, but the foolish man’s heart directs him toward the left.
(Ecclesiastes 10:2 New American Standard Bible)

Posts: 1400 | Location: Southeast San Antonio, TX | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
We did go on the sub

Posts: 6422 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually texas is an "earlier generation" than the Arizona, even though the USS Texas is BB35 the very next battleship made
BB36 the USS Nevada was a "new generation".

While USS Texas had been the first ship produced with the prototype of the central fire director she wasn't really designed for it, Nevada and her sister (Oklahoma) were.

There was a change from two gun turrets to three gun turrets and a switch to the "All or nothing" armor scheme.

Texas was the last ship designed to be powered by reciprocating (piston) steam engines. (Nevada is powered with Steam turbines)
Oklahoma was built with a steam plant for a planned but never built ship (and her reciprocating power plant was the principle reason they didn't return her to service after her capsizing as a result of the pearl harbor attack)

The USS Texas was also the last US Navy Battleship built to be fueled with coal instead of oil.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can still vividly recall those jet engines roaring while I was trying to sleep on a somewhat similar ship named the USS INDEPENDENCE.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're ever passing through Mobile, the USS Alabama, BB60, is berthed there, and alongside is the sub USS Drum. Definitely worth your time.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote