THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    America's first jet aircraft, first flight...video...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America's first jet aircraft, first flight...video...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a very interesting video of America's first jet aircraft on its first flights, September/October, 1942.

http://www.aircraftowner.com/v...tober-1942_1617.html

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
It is amazing what technologies have changed in my lifetime.

In a time when a computer flies the plane it is great to see history of aviation.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I don't know exactly when but either in 1944 or MAYBE early 1945 I attended an air show at Brookley Field, Mobile ,Ala to see a demonstration of glider operations as Brookley was a glider training base i believe. The gliders were Waco's I'm pretty sure , but the highlight of the whole show was the finale was a low (probably 50 ft or so) pass by a Bell Aircomet which then landed and everyone got a good close look. It impressed hell out of a 10 year boy but not half as much as the glider pilot who landed the glider in front of the viewers and rolled the nose up on a 50 cent piece. Especially when the boy treasured that 50 cent piece for many years. Such were the war time years for a young boy.Plus I got to watch them launch ships at Gulf Shipbuilding where my father worked.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I soloed at Bates Field in Mobile in July, 1959 at age 16. At that time, Brookley was a jet base of some sort and later became an overhaul base for F-105 Thuds. It was closed by Lyndon Johnson in one of his tantrums after Alabama went for Goldwater. Many people were instantly unemployed. That was just another reason to despise LBJ.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote