One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted
Taking my checkride next Thurs. Wish me luck

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I won't wish you luck, I'll wish you the chance to prove to the examiner that YOU KNOW what you are doing!

Save the luck for the day (or night) when you run outa airspeed, ideas and are REALLY short on altitude also!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
I won't wish you luck, I'll wish you the chance to prove to the examiner that YOU KNOW what you are doing!

Save the luck for the day (or night) when you run outa airspeed, ideas and are REALLY short on altitude also!

I was going to wish you luck until I read this post! I never really thought of it that way but TCLouis is correct. I wish you a successful checkride which will be the result of your hard work and dedication! thumb

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
You've probably heard it before and you'll no doubt hear it again but the three things you need to avoid are: 1] altitude above you, 2] runway behind you and 3] airspeed you ain't got - stay away from all three and you'll do just fine.
Bon chance!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Mo:
Taking my checkride next Thurs. Wish me luck

Make it a fun experience. If you have a decent examiner it will be. I took my check ride in Marshfield, Wi. After I passed I was returning to Green Bay and flew over a farm field somwhere SE of Wausau that had the crops growing in the shape of the liberty bell with the word "FREEDOM" just above it. Very cool.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Big Mo
I didn't want to sound unsympathettic, but

1. YOU KNOW the material.

2. YOU KNOW what you are doing (or you would NOT be taking a check ride).

3 JUST GO check it out, strap it on, check it out, roll out there, check it out, check up down and to the sides, get the clearance then roll down that runway AND JUST DO IT!!!

I will wish you a decent examiner that wants to check your compentency ( you have that already),
BUT uses their years of experience to instill the fun of flight and will show you some little thing they know to make you an even better and safer pilot.

Another old adage you have likely already heard and will continue to hear over time, but I have to add just to break the tension . . . .

"The only time one has too much fuel on board is when they are on fire."

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
A couple thoughts to help you along-

For the oral, he is supposed to go over each question you missed on the written, so look over your written exam and make sure you know the subject matter in the stuff you missed.

It seems like a lot of examiners would be kinda tight on the oral knowledge stuff, and if they decided you were OK they would loosen up a little on the flight portion. USUALLY, if they take the controls and show you something things are going OK. At that point just shut the hell up and pay attention to what he is showing you, as if your life depended on it.

Remember, as PIC you are required to know the operation of each piece of equipment on your airplane. True story- kinda dating myself here but when LORAN came out I was working on getting my commercial, another guy at the same time had just passed his checkride in a piper arrow and they had taxied up and shut down and the Examiner had already started to fill out the paperwork. As a way of making conversation the examiner casually asks "How does that thing work?" and our intrepid birdman says "I don't know" anyway, he gets busted right then and there. I didn't know what had happened when the Examiner was talking to a couple the the CFI's in a group, but I ambled over there and remember him saying he had no choice, he HAD to fail him. He said he would even have cut him some slack if he turned it on and couldn't operate it, but when he just flat out didn't try he said he couldn't justify that.

Another thing to remember, is if you dazzle him with your brilliance it will not make your ride any easier. If you tell him some wrong information he can bust you for it.

Do not volunteer any un-requested information, and have your answers short and to the point.

Do some research on this particular examiner, if he has given some other people checkrides recently I'd give them a phone call and ask them what they thought went well with this guy and what didn't. A lot of examiners have their particular opinions, if you know what they are you are ahead of the curve a tiny bit and every little bit helps.

Hope that helps, and maybe some of the other guys here will chime in too.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
I knew I should have used a different word when I posted. Success was probably what I should have said. But all of you were right! And thanks for the advice. Mark you said almost to the letter what my CFI said. My checkride had to be put off a week {next Thurs.} But I am ready and rarin to go

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After all my years of flying here in Alaska, both pleasure and as an airtaxi...I had only one item posted on the instrument panel. It said, "IF I THINK I CAN I DON'T".

Now think about that.....if you think you can that means you have some doubt. When I looked at a remote strip....a small lake....a clouded ridgeline I looked at that card and if I caught myself saying "I think I can" I simply turned around and called it a trip.

JIM

Posts: 320 | Location: Lebanon, Missouri | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Here's to the checkride!!

I took mine about 11 years ago, as I was walking out to the plane with the examiner I looked up and saw the Concorde flying over...it was a good day!

Keith

Posts: 350 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
You'll do great & what a relief when it's over!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm dying here... How'd it go?

Make the first one count!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys. Between work,weather and a bout with a headcold/fluid in the ears, it has not happend yet. I was up yesterday and did everything well. Should be done next week about Thurs or Fri. I am ready to get this out of the way and and enjoy slipping the surly bonds.
Opinions on buying your first plane? I have been training in a Cessna 172s 2003 and really like these planes, but I think a 182 would be better. Thanks for the input and advice.

one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
Enjoy the check ride.

If you are going to buy a plane be patient and by all means hire a good mechanic and get a thorough pre-buy inspection - without question.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember that any rating just issued is actually a license to learn.

Buying an airplane can be a risky endeavor. The Cessan 182 is a fine airplane. It's easy to fly, has good range and load carrying capacity, and most of the AD's that have come out on it are already completed. No surprises, usually.

Gear's down and welded, the engine is dependable and it's comfortable and relatively fast.

However, I suggest a thorough cost analysis prior to purchasing an airplane. Determine what you intend to use the airplane for, insurance costs, projected annual maintenance costs, hanger or tie-down fees, any ownership tax advantages, and all the rest.

It is often cheaper to rent. Make certain you know what you're getting into and, above all, deal with a reputable company or individual. There are a lot of sharks out there in the used airplane business.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
I plan to do a lot of short flights in the school 172's before I think about buying. I will continue to fly with my instructor until I feel comfortable. I hope to purchase a plane in the next year or two. I'm in the Land buisness and my company can make good use of a plane for aerials and visiting our other offices. But these flights will be made for a while with my instructor. I plan on starting my instrument rating soon but in the mean time I will solo and fly with my cfi.

One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Congrats Big Mo!

Flying is the most rewarding addiction a guy can have. Go out and fly and just have fun. Like Jetdriver said, think about your intentions prior to buying... If you are going to fly a LOT, it will be cheaper to buy, but if not you may be better off renting. But then, there's something really cool about owning an airplane (or in my case part of one on a club ownership). That said, the bill for our annual just came in at over $12,000, so at times renting isn't such a bad thing!

Have fun!

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obtaining an Instrument rating is an excellent idea. It will enable you to fully utilize the air traffic control system and make you a much safer pilot, also.

It's possible that you can use an aircraft in your business and that will provide you an opportunity to build time toward your next rating. Good luck. Aviation was my whole world for 39 years. I saw the world and had a lifetime of wonderful experiences. You will see things and experience things that the ground-bound majority has no idea exist.

And to reprise TrapperP, the two most useless things in aviation are the runway behind you and gas in the truck.

On a positive note, the most useful thing in aviation is situational awareness.

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
you know I had always dreamed of being able to fly but never had the money or time. I'm 51 and had no idea how much I would enjoy it. All of the instructors at flight school are young , energetic and always willing to answer questions.On days when I have free time I go to airport and hang out watching planes come and go and talking with people in the school. I realize that being safe is the #1 priority and thats what am working hard to be.a safe pilot. Jetdrvr you said it right , from the second you lift off everything is a different world. I will take it slow and keep learning as I go. The school has an 03 182 [no glass] for sale, beautiful plane that I have my eye on. Hopefully I will get my ticket next week and start to get used to 100.00 hamburgers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That’s funny… I’m 51 and just got my private pilots license in December after wanting to since… Well I took my 1st lesson when I was in high school… so it’s been a long time. Now I’m working on my instrument rating but honestly, not with the same vigor.

I know exactly what you are talking about… every time I go up I feel like a 12 year old kid that just snuck off in my parents station wagon… I have about 100 hours now and the thrill is still there.

I did my research before I started taking lessons and I decided to buy into a plane BEFORE I took my 1st lesson (since college). I bought a share of a Cherokee 140… actually I bought a share of a mortgage on a Cherokee 140. By my calculations I would pay off my investment before I earned my license (by not paying rental fees) and then I can fly for much less. I didn’t have any trouble finding an instructor who would give me lessons in my plane. It worked perfectly.

A 140 has limitations (like you can only carry 1.5 passengers) but it’s an inexpensive uncomplicated plane to fly which is really nice when you are paying an instructor as well. I may move up one day but for now… I’m having a ball.

Please let us know how that check ride goes…

Be careful it’s ADICTING.

Make the first one count!

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Well I would like to wish you good luck in all your flying experiences Big Mo - incuding your check ride.

I carry a buckeye and lions tooth in my left pocket every day and would be a'scared to leave home without 'em.

Luck not flying skill has pulled me out more times than I deserve.

Good luck.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Well the big day was yesterday. Did great on the oral according to the examiner and when we went out to fly clouds had moved in. I made the call to not fly after an updated wx brief due to low ceilings and some marginal vfr. Will fly on 3-25-07 and should have a ticket in my pocketby then. Then the learning can really begin.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I wish you the very best and I envy your journey into the air. I am close to 70 now and I miss flying more than most anything I did when younger. If I could afford it, I would go out and buy a small plane to play with now.
Great movie on the tube last night. John Wayne, Islands in the Sky. Brought back many memories. Check it out. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
Big Mo, what are you flying?

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Good luck today!

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Got it done today! Just got back from a steak dinner with my wife , my instructor ,his dad a retired commercial pilot and a WWII B-17 pilot Mr. Verle fischer a man who got shot down on his 24 1/2 mission and spent 19 months in a German POW camp. We've made friends with this guys and he has some good stories.
The plane I fly is a 2003 Cessna 172. All of you were right "I had fun with it"

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! If your every near Yazoo City,MS drop in and I will treat you to a catfish dinner.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
Do we get to catch em first?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I still recall obtaining my Private. I think that it is great that you are doing this at your age.

A friendly piece of advice...learn as much about weather forecasting and phenomena as you can. If that still, small voice says, "Don't go," listen to it. Flying is a combination of skill and luck, but never forget the six P's: Proper Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance. And learn Murphy's First Four Laws of Aviation and never forget them.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
You are right. Thanks for the congrats and the advice. What are the 4 laws?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1: What can go wrong, will.
2: Of all the things that can go wrong, the one that will will do the most damage.
3: Mother Nature sides with the hidden flaw.
4: Mother Nature is a bitch.

And here's some more brain fodder...

Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity, or neglect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I live by : the runway behind you, the altitude above you and the Fuel you left in the fuel truck dose you no good. Good luck on the check ride. You will do fine.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of keithv35
posted Hide Post
Congrats again!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Mo,

Good job and keep up that fresh enthusiastic attitude. It'll keep you in right frame of mind.