THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    Has anyone here been subjected to this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone here been subjected to this?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of David W
posted
http://www.theatlantic.com/nat...lane-stories/276018/

The ignorance and intimidation displayed here is sickening.

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Six years ago I flew to Baltimore, MD to have cancer surgery at Johns Hopkins University Urology Hospital. Two days later, as I was returning home in a wheelchair and with a Foley Catheter installed, I was singled out by Airport Security in Baltimore and forced to stand and be patted down. This was despite the fact that I had hospital discharge papers and proper ID. Nothing surprises me anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by David W:
http://www.theatlantic.com/nat...lane-stories/276018/

The ignorance and intimidation displayed here is sickening.

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The AOPA has been all over this, my guess because of that beard no doubt. There is profiling going on, just not the murdering muslims bastards.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you re-post this in the Political Forum. It will be of interest to many.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I may as well share my TSA story:

I am a semi-reited law enforcement veteran of nearly 30 years and as such I have flown armed many times, most without incident. To do so all I needed was my badge/ID and a letter from the chief stating my need to fly armed - as chief I had the luxury of writing my own letters. :-)

July of 02, I learn of my acceptance to the 213th session of the FBI National Academy in Quantico, VA, which starts April 6, 2003 - a real honor/privilege for law enforcement executives.

April 6, 2003 I arrive at the Sacramento International Airport to start my three-month adventure at the FBI Academy. Before leaving the house I decide to leave my sidearm at home, thinking it would be more throuble than it was worth to bring it - wrong!

So, I arrive at security and there is just two of us on the flight, myself and an elderly white lady. I am immediately asked to proceed to a screening area for a pat search and search of my camera equipment. While walking to the screening area, the TSA officer asked if I was flying for business or pleasure. I explained that I was a police chief and I was on my way to the FBI Academy, hoping that he would just send me on my way. He replied with a sarcastic: "sounds like fun." As he began patting me down I explained the irony I was experiencing. I said: "So if I would have arrived with my firearm and these same credentials, I would have avoided the whole security line and pat down, but I am not armed and have all my credentials and I get searched - seems like I would have been more of a threat with my weapon." He replies: "yep, doesn't make sense."

The fun continues. I arrive at Houston for a brief layover. Before boarding my name is called over the PA system, requesting me to proceed to the TSA screening area. Not again! Yep, I am greeted by two TSA officers who instruct me that they needed to conduct a random search of my person and carry on for security purposes. I, again, explained my status and where I was flying and showed them my credentials. They responded: "We don't get to search police chiefs very often." "So if I were armed with the very same credentials, we would have never met, correct?" "That's correct, sir. Have a safe flight."

Actually the pilots love having cops onboard. I am allowed to board early (before handicapped and babies) and Bullshit with the flight crew before the others board. They like to know exactly where you're sitting in case they need you.

Police credentials + firearm = no search
police credentials - firearm = search?

Needless to say, I never flew unarmed again!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would love to be able to fly armed, and just take my Glock wherever I go. I feel naked when I go out of town and don't have it.

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:

I would love to be able to fly armed, and just take my Glock wherever I go. I feel naked when I go out of town and don't have it.

I should qualify my last statement and say that now that I am not currently active, I have to check my weapon like everyone else, but while I was active I never flew unarmed again. Not so much because I was worried about needing it during a flight, but to circumvent the TSA morons.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Flying magazine just did an article:

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/...ilots-have-no-rights

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the AOPA report with a check list to follow if they come knocking on your door
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-V...rcraft-searches.aspx

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seeing as this is not the PF, can I ask if these kinds of issues are process related issues or are discretionary issues? There are MANY security related matters that I would NOT want to be discretionary and would write into the policies and procedures manual that would be mandatory. There would be some, that would be discretionary. Having said that, there do seem to be some behaviors on the part of TSA personnel that put them all in a bad light, given the anonymity that many operate under.
Having said that, I am not sure that references to "jack booted fascists" advances the discussion much. This should not be an "us against them" situations, should it? Are we not all concerned about national security and law enforcement? I think it was these types of issues that the author was asking when he said:
"The people who should answer for this crap are the cowardly bureaucrats who sent all those men, vehicles, airplanes, dogs, and guns out there - not the men dispatched to the scene." Clearly the men dispatched knew something about private aviation, although not as expert as folks who live it every day.
Hopefully this kind of interagency cooperation, will be more carefully monitored by both sides if it results in continuing embarrassment!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having said that, I am not sure that references to "jack booted fascists" advances the discussion much. This should not be an "us against them" situations, should it? Are we not all concerned about national security and law enforcement?

I offer one word.....Waco.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
There are those of us who don't want to live in a police state and those of us who are sheep on the way to slaughter.

Peter, you are right. It is not "us against them", yet, but, I can assure you that it is already "them against us" when the government disregards the Bill of Rights so casually, citing the greater good.

George III would be proud of your attitude. You must want to drive on the wrong side of the road, or something? Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will never, ever accept the "I was just doing what I was told to do" bull shit line. The government agents who terrorize citizens make a choice every day.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.