THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AVIATION FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Aviation    ATLAS V launch at Vandenberg AFB May 5th
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATLAS V launch at Vandenberg AFB May 5th
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
They will be launching the MARS Insight spacecraft and two communications relay satellites from Vandenberg Air Force Base at 04:05 - 06:05, Saturday morning, May 5th.

Wifezilla and I are driving down to Lompoc, CA (The home of Roger Ramjet, 10 miles from the base.) on Friday to watch it.

I'll see what kind of photos that I can get.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I watched Atlas V launch in 2016 from Cape Canaveral AFS. Pretty damn impressive.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Oh, man! Wish I could be there. I will instead be enjoying the open house here at Holloman Air Force Base, where my late uncle learned to fly B-24s in WWII.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16367 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yes pictures would be great.

Years ago I saw an Atlas IIIa launch while on a trip to the AFB at Canaveral.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, just how old is the Atlas ? Didn't it launch the first men to the moon ?

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be the Saturn series of rockets that got us to the moon.

The original Atlas was an ICBM of 1950's fame and was used for the Mercury program - remove warhead put capsule in place hope you don't land in Moscow.

The current series of Atlas started in the 1990's with the Atlas V started in 2000.

The issue with the Atlas is we are still using Russian sourced rocket motors. The Air Force is busy trying to replace it, but that's not so easy. I believe Blue Origin of Jeff Bezos/Amazon fame is the frontrunner for a replacement motor. They just rolled out a new motor about a week ago that may meet the performance criterion for the Atlas V.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Correct regarding the Russian Zenit motors. The IIIa launch I saw years back was the first launch using them. The reasoning at the time was that kerosene fuel was safer than liquid oxygen & hydrogen plus the system itself is very reliable.

The use of Atlas for manned space flight was the increased lift capability needed to reach an orbital trajectory that the Redstone powered Mercury flights couldn't reach. John Glen and later missions flew on Atlas powered Mercury's.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looked like another perfect launch. Hope the early morning fog didn't obscure the views of the launch too much.

The InSight spacecraft and the two CubeSats successfully deployed and they are on their way to Mars.

Go NASA!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Guys, I got to listen to the launch! Frowner

The overcast came down to 500 feet or so and the coastal mountains between us and the base meant that we didn't get to see anything.

I had the video feed from NASA going on my phone during the launch so I got to see that.

Wifezilla went with me and we had a nice dinner for my Mom, brother and sister so it was worth the 300 mile round trip.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crap. The fog looked pretty thick for the launch. At least you got some family time.