New
Find
Notify
Tools

This guy took me for a deposit.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
John Bender of Missouri. I booked a late season Iowa muzzleloader hunt with him at the SCI Detroit Chapter Banquet a couple years ago. He didn't bother to tell me that he sold the majority of his outfit a couple weeks later.

And the drama got worse. And I lost more money. The guy that bought him out apparently got hosed in the deal too. He tried to make it right by offering me a Kansas deer hunt. Problem was that he was under investigation too. I got interviewed by game wardens from two different states and never spent a day in the field hunting with either of them.

I cut my losses and moved on. When I read that the second 'partner' gets indicted I'll post that here too.

http://www.heartlandconnection...=848393#.Uk90TZ3D_L8

And here's some video of John Bender on an outdoor hunting show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmTkFfErcGI

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yea he is a real piece of work. BTW which of the mental giants at Detroit decided to back him anyway? As far as that goes, since when did we not stand behind what we sold in a situation like that and back up our members? Times they are a changing and not for the better apparently. I do not like the things I am hearing through the grapevine at all. We should talk if we can ever coordinate schedules.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear from you Mike.

I take responsibility for initially booking the hunt with John Bender. Yes, it was at a SCI Detroit Chapter event but I'm a big boy and should have done more research. I only checked with one reference, albeit someone I happened to know quite well, but should have done more due/diligence.

Can't blame the Chapter for that.

That said, most of the stuff you are hearing through the grapevine is probably true. I've had no association with them for over a year now.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are we back to the point where I was fighting to get OOA thrown out? Please tell me it isn't true. I am hearing rumors that donations count more than ethics once again. Since all the parties relaying things to me either can or will not give me specifics at this point so I cant speak from even second hand at this point. I am sure as hell going to be making some phone calls and asking a lot of pointed questions though. Too many of us worked too damn hard to rid ourselves of these kinds of problems. I am not naïve I know they will happen at times but it is what we meaning the chapter do about it that then matters. That is where we find out just how much ethics is so much talk and how much becomes dollar signs. These guys have been convicted as poachers so I don't see where there is any ground for anyone to defend. The should first make things right with any members that got burnt. You as the individual are not the only one who should be doing due diligence! Then they need to boot these guys as exhibitors for life period. End of discussion. This is not even a questionable case of I fd up the permits. ?Who is currently running the show? Never mind I will go find out for myself. I will give you a call when I get a chance. Getting some of my memory back but my attention span and math skills still in the toilet. We will talk offline and I will bring you up to speed.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, too bad this happened. I met this guy at the Detroit show as well. I talked to him and thought he was a total asshole. I think his connection was Meldrum but that does not mean he was part of it, just he knew him. I could not stand to talk to the guy for more than 5 minutes and all he could talk about was the Brunsons, etc. Someone was interested in him and I shooed them off. good that he is getting was he has coming. Give me a call sometime.

York, SC

Posts: 1130 | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thx Larry you just answered a couple questions for me. How you been brother?

Happiness is a warm gun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard today that Bender entered into a plea agreement but will still be going to prison

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Drummond there is a bit of good news!

Happiness is a warm gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
nothing a ball peen to the forehead wouldn't cure

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post