THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTS: 1941 Mauser 'Black Widow' Luger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a Mauser-Werke AG (byf manufacture code) Luger manufactured in 1941. All numbers-matching with the exception of the side plate.* The Waffenamt proofs on the receiver and barrel (655) designate that this Luger was accepted for service and issued from the Mauser-Werke AG factory in Oberndorf.

Rarer configuration with factory black grips and black Bakelite magazine toggle, commonly known as a 'Black Widow' to collectors. This was not a formal designation and there are no markings that define one. This pistol was purchased several years ago from one of the better-known collectible military small arm sellers (Legacy Collectibles) and the grips and magazine are original according to them.

*All components are properly stamped with the full serial number (9050) or abbreviation (50), with the exception of the side plate. Whether it was replaced post-war, or someone tried to buff out holster wear/pitting is unknown. The price below reflects the one non-serialized component which should have been stamped with a '50'.

The only other blemish is that the Bakelite magazine toggle has a chip out of it on the left-hand side, as shown in the pictures below. Bakelite was fragile even when new and Luger magazines regularly show damage to the earlier wooden or rarer Bakelite toggles. The price below reflects the damaged toggle.

$2,500 shipped in the continental 48. The pistol will ship via USPS, fully insured.

Let me know if you have any questions. Higher resolution pictures available on request.

Posts: 446 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check PM

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had these; has this one been polished and reblued?

Posts: 17121 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just gorgeous.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I have had these; has this one been polished and reblued?

I don't believe it's been re-blued, judging from the wear on the frame and parts. The side plate seems to be the only part out of place.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link, but here's a video on Black Widow Lugers by Legacy Collectibles and how to spot a fake. This one is obviously not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL-Me5JMnQs

Posts: 446 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 19 August 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah...it's been over- polished and reblued. The barrel, on the other hand, seems fairly "crisp''

Posts: 3459 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Yeah...it's been over- polished and reblued. The barrel, on the other hand, seems fairly "crisp''

Yup.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4860 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post