THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB Mod 21 COOPER FIREARMS STOCK
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I am looking for a factory replacement wood stock for my COOPER FIREARMS Model 21, heavy barrel varmint, 222 Remington.

While shooting Prairie Dogs in East Montana last week, I got flipped off the tripod shooting table/seat mounted in a trailer!!We were creeping along changing position and passed thru a 6-8 ft swale, when the truck flattened out on top, the trailer went almost verticle!! Table on top of me, pinned by my head to the grated ramp, 2 pieces in hand!!...what a scene!!

The outcome is a 1/4" chunk off the top of the forend about 3" long and cracked back another 3" along the left side of the barrel channel. It might be possible to laminate in a piece... but match is going to be tough. I guess it could be carved and shaped down and duplicated on the right side. The barrel is free floated forward.

FYI, NiteHawk Firearms, the custom 1911 makers, have recently purchased COOPER and they are in the process of moving the whole operation to Arkansas. They are not presently producing.

I am not interested in a black plastic B&C....

Please PM me if you have a fit!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2575 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with LeRoy Barry at Canyon Creek Gunstocks. He works on a major amount of Coopers. Used to work for Cooper years ago.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, already chatted with him yesterday. He doesn't have any take offs from custom projects, his stocks start at $2500 and he is way backed up now!!

Thanks much!!

Still looking.

470EDDY

Posts: 2575 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two of the larger Cooper retailers were Hendershot's and Gulf Breeze. They may have something gathering dust in a corner.

Posts: 1226 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you!! I know JD and son LD/ Westley Richards, at Gulfbreeze, Florida. I will call on Monday!! I will try Hendershots as well... great leads.

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was some 21 Phoenix stocks available on Gunsamerica. I know it's not ideal for what you want, but it might get you by till Cooper gets rolling.

I doubt we will see much from Cooper for the next 12-18 months. Any new orders are probably close to 2 years out.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ken,
Thanks very much, I find Guns America very hard to use to be thorough!! I have looked there as well as Guns International, Gun Broker, eBay...
Yes, in speaking with one of the key guys that moved to Arkansas, they won't be ready to do repair and service until early next year, and there is no firm plan to start up production. The purchase was inventory and intellectual property... so a long way to production if ever??
I may have to have them do a repair, or a local gunsmith... I have been cautioned NOT to carve down the forend of both sides to change the configuration even if free floated out that far... can't put it back if you don't like it!!
I am methodically calling the prime dealers to see if they might have one tucked away. I missed a Model 22 on GI that looked very similar.

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
You probably know of Mark at First Stop in Rapid City, SD.
He was a large volume Cooper dealer and still gets quite a few in, both new and used.

I am actually looking for a LH Phoenix stock, but doubt I will ever find it. I have only ever seen one LH Phoenix listed, and that one is quite high.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BUMP... STILL LOOKING

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he outcome is a 1/4" chunk off the top of the forend about 3" long and cracked back another 3" along the left side of the barrel channel. It might be possible to laminate in a piece... but match is going to be tough. I guess it could be carved and shaped down and duplicated on the right side. The barrel is free floated forward.

Do you have the pieces.

Sounds like a fairly simple repair.

It well never be the same but getting it shooting again with the current stock.

Should not be to hard.

Posts: 19398 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the piece!! What ever it hit must have snapped the wood off with such force it flew a ways!! One would have thought it would have bent away and would be hanging there, still attached.... NOPE!!
I was pretty dazed by the crash and landing on my head!!....so I really wasn't thinking about looking for the chunk ripped off.
I have spoken with several quality gunsmith, including Gerry who was the lead at Cooper and has moved to Arkansas. He will be ready to accept repairs like this by January, February. He says this is a very easy repair he has done dozens of times!!
But it is still a repair... and I will know it, even if hard to see!! Gerry advises they may never build the Model 21 again??!!

I would still like to replace it!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
That appears to be true based on their website. All single shots are no longer listed.
Maybe their demand fell off since the repeater actions were introduced.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BUMP

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BUMP

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this helps…but I was bumping around on Stocky’s the other day and saw this…

https://www.stockysstocks.com/...firearms-stocks.html

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post