THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CLASSIFIED FORUM

Please remember hunting and shooting related posts only, no links to other sites.

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB J&L WILKINS DOUBLE OR BOLT RIFLES
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
The purveyor of the J&L WILKINS DOUBLE RIFLEs and Bolt rifles was Chris Soyza, a Malaysian, trained in British engineering schools and a master of the UK gun trade, and 8 years at Westley Richards as Chief Engineer, and Production Manager.He also had a US partner Dick Corrente.
Chris was a very good friend. We chatted about dangerous game hunts, and about fishing...and alot about British gunmaking . Sadly he died way to young from complications of prostate cancer surgery. Chris was a very active big game hunter as well, having taken his first elephant when he was 9 years old, on his parents Palm Oil Plantation!!... SUCCESSFUL African safaris and even Indian Gaur!!

This team produced 22 double rifles from 22LR to 700NE!! The 3 22s were paired with 410 shotgun barrels as a set. Both sidelocks and boxlock double rifles. They also produced quite a number of large caliber bolt rifles, also in the British Trade, using Mayfield and Mag Mauser actions. All very classic British rifles.

I would very much like to acquire a Double Rifle, as well as a Bolt rifle to celebrate these two fine guys master gunmaking journey.

Yes, there is one nice cased Boxlock in 470NE on the market, but it is priced as a recovery attempt for an auction buy gone wild!! I know where one of the 22LR/410 sets is, but only to see it, NOT FOR SALE and it will pass to the owner's son!!
Honestly, I have only seen one Bolt rifle offered at Holland and Holland a few years ago for a Kings Ransome!!... back in the 80s, Dick told me they had trouble selling them at $1800!! I remember meeting Chris and Dick at an SCI Convention and hawking a nice Sidelock at $18,000!!...this was pre-1994 when I was looking for my 470NE!!
Please PM me if you have one or know of one that might be available. I am a strong buyer...

Thanks much!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2566 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A customer/friend of mine had a Wilkins 700 NE and I got to shoot it. Very nice rifle. He has since passed and I don't know where the rifle ended up.

Posts: 1216 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a 700NE that sold at auction a year or two ago!! That was probably it, I think they only did one!!
I recall it sold for $80,000!!
I'll bet you still remember shooting it!! A life changing experience, maybe requiring dental care post shoot!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2566 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BUMP

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of their Mauser rifles in .404 Jeffery and it is a really nice gun. I'm not interested in selling it, but every now and then one comes up for sale.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
That's exactly one I am looking for!!
Those are a real treasure along side a Rigby on a short Mauser action!! They did these right!!

470EDDY

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
BUMP

Still looking!!

470EDDY