one of us
posted
Muntjac on the loose

Anyone here heard more on this?

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
A lady asked me if Claret had a muntjac in his pocket as he was leaving Baldock....

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am guessing he was just really pleased to see her! Big Grin

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Very funny Gabe. I was about to make that joke myself.

I had not heard of them in Wicklow, however, if they are there they will multiply like rabbits as Wicklow is deer heaven.

There are persistent rumours on this subject here in the North, I am reasonably sure there are at least some within 6 miles of me. Maybe Brass would like to comment?? Big Grin

We can only live in hope...

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If muntjac are in the ROI, unless they are got at very quickly they are going to be there to stay although there may be extensive parts of the countryside that don't particularly suit them.

I was also surprised that the otherwise excellent and well informed Irish Examiner piece on Irish deer from the link in the first post did not mention the introduction of roe at Lissadel in Co. Sligo where, before they died out, they produced a good number of extraordinary multi-pointed heads.

Posts: 98 | Location: Vale of Clwyd, North Wales - UK | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently the dept of agriculture has allowed the deer season to be extended to allow the destruction of Muntjac, and they are appealling for anyone with information on the people responsible to come forward.
If there are enough Munties for them to be seen, then it"s probably too late to eradicate them.
I take no responsibility for their arrival, and have no knowledge of their origins! Wink
good shooting

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brass thief:
Apparently the dept of agriculture has allowed the deer season to be extended to allow the destruction of Muntjac, and they are appealling for anyone with information on the people responsible to come forward.
If there are enough Munties for them to be seen, then it"s probably too late to eradicate them.
I take no responsibility for their arrival, and have no knowledge of their origins! Wink
good shooting

Sam, is that the Dept Of Agriculture in the North or South??

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly it"s only the south! (Ducas?)
There was an article in Irish Shooting and Fishing Digest. I think it mentioned Water Deer as well.
Shootable populations will eventually emerge.
good shooting.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
It was actually the National Parks and Wildlife Service that issued the edict that any of us shooting on Section 42,s[licence to shoot deer outside season or in special circumstances] in March were to shoot any Muntjac we saw.
I may be wrong but as far as I know only 1 has been shot near Arklow/Avoca,Co.Wicklow and that was last year.

Posts: 456 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that this along with the report that Muntjac had been spotted in Scotland along the A9. Had been shown to be rumour and speculation only.

Fat people are harder to kidnap.

Posts: 47 | Location: UK | Registered: 12 June 2008Reply With Quote