Find
Notify
Tools

Red Stag in Ireland
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

I have the possibility of going to Ireland this October and I love stalking red stag so...

I was wondering if there are any guides or estates anyone would recomend?

Cheers!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Wicklow some time ago - the hybridization with Sika deer was a real problem there.

I do not know if pure blood Red Stags are still available in Ireland - though one of our local members will soon give us a current reading of the situation.

Best of luck - it is a gorgeous place to hunt..and the Sika..... they are there in huge numbers! Smiler

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
PM me and I'll give you all the details

Aleko

Hits count, misses don't

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Ian is correct, there are very little in the way of pure Reds in Ireland.

Wicklow Reds and Sika are both almost entirely hybridised. The upside is there are 10's of thousands of them.

There are excellent pure Reds in Kerry, however, I believe there is no commercial / sport hunting for Reds in Kerry. I am happy to be corrected about that, but I remember two English gents being sent home minus rifles and a large fine for shooting a Red in Kerry a few years back

There are huge pure Reds in Donegal, but they are thin on the ground. We had a lease up there for a few years but gave it up as we could not protect it from being shot out by locals. Most of the best Donegal stalking is held by syndicates. There was one guy offering commercial stalking but he is unreliable at best.

Go to Wicklow and shoot what you see. Don't worry too much about it being a hybrid.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI thanks,

I don't mind if they are hybrids, I'd be interested in trying sika as well. I'm just looking for a local contact to arrange some stalking.

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote