Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new rifle for roe deer
 Login/Join

posted
Thinking of getting me a new rifle for roe deer hunting, but can�t decide wish caliber. The 30-06, 308w or 243 please help me!!!

Posts: 13 | Location: sweden | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi Kb,

If you only will use the rifle for roe and other small games go for the .243W. Will you hunt mostley roe and sometimes bigger game go for the .308W. And will you hunt roe and also a lot of moose take the .30-06.

If you not are a member of www.robsoft.nu in Sweden you are welcome! A kind of swedish accurate reloading forum.

.280 Sweden

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey .280 swede:

why a .280 and not a 7X64 or 7X65R?

just curious.

Jameister (7X65R)

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Have you ruled out 6.5x55? In my eyes it ought to be a good choise, not at least when it comes to unexpensive training ammo available in Sweden and the number of guns on the second hand market.

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are in Sweden - the Moose will be along one day - go for the 30'06 and forget about any future changes in the law that insist on a larger calibre than 6.5! Do I need to say that stainless steel and a synthetic stock were designed for hunting in the Swedish rain! [Wink] Whatever you get - get too big a rifle - you will never be disappointed!

Whatever you get - enjoy it!

Regards Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi Jameister,

Why? I could live with a 7x64 to, the twin of .280Rem.
I choose the .280Rem so I can reform .30-06 cases and the ability to have a fabric rifle in stainless steel and more rifle brand to chooise between.
If you can read swedish I explain why more on my .280-homepage:
http://communities.msn.se/280RemingtonSweden

The day I buy a combination gun the 7x65R will be my caliber!

.280 Sweden

<JOHAN>
posted
kb

Depending on were you live in Sweden, hunting roe deer means that the chance of shooting a wildboar is there, unless you live up north [Eek!]

I would go for a 280 rem/7X64 or a 7 mm rem mag. All have fairly flat trajectory and a good selsetion of bullets. 7 mm rem mag has the option of Jaktmatch ammo.

Be a bit different, just like the rest of us and choose something different [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
kb..
Of the three mentioned I would opt for the 308 Win. I have used all the three calibers for roe and settled with the 308 with 165 gr Hornady SP bullets.
Why...???
Wery accurate, easy to shoot, buckles wind better than the 243, handles a straw of grass better than the 243.
Besides that it�s tons of arguments for all three as they are equally good in their own way .

If yoy are thinking of combining roe with red, boar or moose, then I would go for the 30-06 as it�s handles 180, 200 and 220 gr bullets in a more professional way.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of those the 243 is probably made for roe deer. Terminal effects are perfect out to obscene ranges and the low recoil will assist in maintaining the sight picture and observing the reaction to the shot.

Having said all that if you reload you could kill 2 birds with one stone and get a 6.5x55 and use 100gr bullets. The effect is the same (but less pressure) and you have your moose rifle too.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
I'm for the 6.5x55 or the 7x64Brenneke in this order. The first in any condition, the second only if I need long shoots.
back later
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7X64 is THE universal caliber for european big game. It can take up to big boar or red deer or moose, but won't blow a roe deer away (not much left of the latest I shot [Frown] .300 wby). Wide choice of rifles / factory loads / bullets too.
It would be my choice. Because as a French I don't have access to the 30-06 [Frown] .

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by King Baboon:
Because as a French I don't have access to the 30-06 [Frown] .

King Baboon,
In what sense do you mean that you don't have access to 30-06?

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marterius,

Because here all calibers that are military-related (30-06, 308 win, 303 british, 223 rem...) are forbidden for hunting, and highly restricted for shooting...

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
And I thoght that we in Sweden had stupid gun regulations... [Frown]
Here it is however regarded almost as an advantage with military calibers, because of the cheap training ammo available, even if the 223 Rem isn't so popular yet as we have a long tradition of using 222Rem.

6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is our old military caliber and the most popular moose-caliber in Sweden, even if more and more hunters prefer a .30 or 9.3 for moose. This is also probably the reason why 270 never had been a hit here. Nor have 7x64 for some reson, but 7x57R is very popular in drillings and bochb�chsflintes.

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted Hide Post
All the countries have bad laws on guns.
[Frown]
And for this reason I really understand King Baboon.
I am a little afraid of the hypotetical rules and laws that CEE can produce for armonize all our nations. [Roll Eyes]
I'll be back tomorrow
bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by King Baboon:
Marterius,

Because here all calibers that are military-related (30-06, 308 win, 303 british, 223 rem...) are forbidden for hunting, and highly restricted for shooting...

Oh My God!!! [Eek!]

Almost all gun laws are useless, but this one is beyond useless!!!

I feel your pain, man. [Confused]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your concern but no worries, I don't care that much. I use 7X65R in a double for driven hunts, alternatively with a bolt action 300 wby that I use as well for plainsgame in Africa. There is nothing the 30-06 can do that is not achievable with that combo [Big Grin]