New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adventures with wifes drilling
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As posted earlier my wife has a 12x12x30-06 drilling. She is hunting a new spot that may require a shot as far as 300 yards. I "advised" her [hehe] that she is better off with her Rem mod 7 in 308 for the long shot she might have to make. She has shot this 308 at distance.
So I have been sneaking her drilling out to hunt with. I have been setting on our duck pond, as we call it, on our lease. I have managed to take a few ducks as they fly in after first light.
Some times in the early afternoon I will sneak up on the pond and jump shoot ducks. Many times I can kill 2 ducks with one shot if they are close together [Big Grin] . Once I was able to shoot one duck with each bbl, then reload the right bbl only and shoot another before it could fly away.
But this weekend I had the best luck of all. I snuck up on the pond and killed two ducks with my first shot, killed number 3 flying with the right barrel, reloaded the right barrel only and killed number 4 as it flew away. [Big Grin]
Now if I can just get a big pig to come to the pond, I can add him to the freezer too.
This is why I think a Drilling is the best of the "combination" guns, it is a perfectly good shotgun, [I think I shoot her drilling better than any other scattergun I have used], and a perfectly good single shot rifle.
I must get one for my self, I think either a 12x12x9,3X74R, or a 12x12x308. I know the 20ga. is more compact, but all my other shotguns are 12ga. and it works better for ducks. A 16 guage is totally out, the shells are not that popular in the US. [Probably a big oversite on our part].

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How long are the barrels on your wifes drilling? How much does it weigh without the scope?

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage99 The barrels are 24 inches. I do not have a scale accurate enough to give you the exact weight. But I will say this the drilling handles much better that my 12ga. 26" Browning Citori, and I always liked the Citori. I handled a Krieghoff drilling recently, also a 12x12x30-06 and it felt real good also. I hope that helps.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote