Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser R8 or Sauer 404
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
My hunting course starts in a couple weeks. I am pretty excited.

I am torn between the Blaser R8 Success and the Sauer 404 Synchro. If I get one the new one for this year is tan.

The Blaser comes in more calibers, and things like 338 Lapua. But I hate the magazine system.

I like the looks of the 404 more, and the magazine system a lot more.

The Swiss Christensens Arms company has a carbon fiber R8 stock. The Sauer can also be had in a carbon fiber stock.

A Sauer 404 XT Synchro is about 3000 Euros in a standard caliber. My price is about $2600.

A Blaser R8 Success is about 3000 Euros in a standard caliber.

The Sauer 404 XTC Synchro carbon fiber is 5700 Euros. My price is about $3700.

I am not sure what Christensens Switzerland charges for their R8 carbon fiber stock.

I have owned both a R93 (several of them) and a Sauer 202, and Sauer 90. I loved all of them, but the 202 was one of the nicest built rifles I have ever touched.

My plan is to get a 8x57, 30-06, 6.5x55 or 308 barrel, and later get other barrels.

Question:
What would you pick?

Choices:
Blaser R8 Success
Sauer 404 Synchro XT

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with any of them. I'm a decade+ long fan of them (own R93 in .222, .300 WM, 9,3x62 and 202 in 7x64 and .30-06). There the only rifles in the +/- 30 I possess that I never felt the need to tune. So, pick the one you like best. Oh yes, personally I don't like thumbhole stocks...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own both..either is a great pick. Sounds like you are leaning toward the 404...if I'm reading between the lines correctly?

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavily leaning toward the 404.

2 things piss me off about the 404.

1. I can not get a 416 Rem mag barrel, this is only a concern because I own a metric ton of 416 Rem Mag brass, bullets and several sets of dies.

2. The R8 is available with the Grodas GRS stock, I'd not want this as my primary stock but I would love to have one as a second stock. With the 404, you can have a classic or thumbhole.

Saying that the R8 in 338 Lapua in the GRS is really the one I'd like to own. BUT! The R8's magazine is not ideal for the 338 Lapua, and I am not sure I could load 300s in it. I have had good luck with my Sako TRG-42, and when the time comes I think I should pick another platform for the 338 Lapua. Currently I am looking at ordering a Voere Match with the GRS stock in that caliber.

Not really as specific, but the R8 comes in something like 650 calibers. The 404 comes in something like 12 calibers. The upside to the 404, is that several people like Styria and Border make replacement barrels for the 404 in whatever caliber you want.

The 404 comes with things that the R8 should also come with but doesn't. Like the modifiable trigger from 250 grams to 1 kg. Turn the lever and it changes the weight, has 4 settings.

The R8 Atzl trigger has two settings, and is $500.

I never felt like my Sauer 202 shot as well as my R93s. I perceive the R8 to shoot better than the R8 does. There is a test on youtube where a gunshop compares the 404 XTC (Carbon fiber one, yikes) to the R8 success in a shoot out. The R8 handidly beats the 404. Exactly my experience with the R93 and 202.

The answer is probably to own both.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andre Mertens:
You can't go wrong with any of them. I'm a decade+ long fan of them (own R93 in .222, .300 WM, 9,3x62 and 202 in 7x64 and .30-06). There the only rifles in the +/- 30 I possess that I never felt the need to tune. So, pick the one you like best. Oh yes, personally I don't like thumbhole stocks...

Andre you own a 202 or 200 as well don't you?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very happy that the R8 does not have the unnecessary and overengineered trigger the 404 has.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I was wondering about that. I'd imagine they both have fairly complicated trigger systems.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Difficult choice. I have a 202 in .25/06. Sold another 202 in .300WM to buy an R8 professional success. The major advantage that the R8 has is that it will hold zero with barrel swaps. Also quite a bit quicker to reload and is a much more compact package.
The 404 has a better trigger system but even the standard R8 trigger is good. Also has a better magazine so long as you have a spare as they can't be top loaded. The 404 thumbhole looks better to my eye although not as nice as the 202 did.
My 202 .25/06 easily shoots everything I've tried into sub MOA but the R8 .300WM is significantly more accurate than my 202 in .300WM ever was. Had two .300WM barrels for the 202 but neither shot like the R8 does.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
BWW,
Here are my babies mentioned above :

R93 JagdMatch in .222 Rem

[IMG]
R93 OffRoad Mag-Na-Port in 9,3x62

R93 Luxus in .300 Win Mag

Sauer 202 with barrels in 7x64 and .30-06

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

I sold all the R93s in 2007 or 2008.

I still have the k95's just not here in Germany, because I am not able to own firearms yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Blaser R93 match barrels are the most accurate rifles I have ever shot. The 6mm BR was as accurate as any BR gun I have shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
@BWW: The R8 standard trigger is very reliable and in most cases outstanding out of the box. Actually I think it is so good that I never invested in the Atzl trigger. Having said that I like simple, reliable approaches. I can imagine that if someone is a bit more sophisticated he can have fun with the trigger of the 404. For me it is just more complexity without added value. The more serious problem of the 404 are the integrated mounts on the aluminum system. You have to rely on a few mounts. I guess it is not so much of a problem with light scopes and low recoiling calibers and if you do not change the scope too often. The Blaser mounts on the steel barrel are outstanding. If I were you I would buy the R8 and if it does not meet your requirements you can easily sell it again. This approach is rather difficult with a 404.

Posts: 701 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The answer is probably to own both.

Correct... Wink

I really wanted to have just one of the systems and I really wanted it to be the 404...but 375 isn't enough gun for me when it comes to hunting Africa, so the R8 it is. I think the R8 is the way to go if you can only pick one.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, I'll torture myself for a few more months until I am legal to own a firearm.