Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3 Lite?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
Having a discussion on factory rifles yesterday and the preferance of a Tikka came up. Having only ever fired 1, a 243 owned by our A.Yates (super accurate, he sold it for more expensive stuff!!!)

What are they like? Are the triggers good?

My preferance is for the Rem 700, then new stock and trigger unit - he couldn't see the need in throwing money at a new rifle - your thoughts gentlemen please.

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
I have a T3 Varmint over 4 years old now good trigger accurate only downside for me is the 3round mag.

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a T3 Lite cal. 270 WSM and I'm really satisfied. It's light, very accurate and with a 10 min. job, the trigger pull is now at 0.8 kg. I really appreciate the smoothness of the action. dancing

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I have a Tikka M 595 .223 that came to me with a three round box, My R.F.D. friend sourced a steel six round box for me, I consigned the plastic three round box to the back of the safe! Wink

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't do it!!! I have just got rid of the T3 lite that I had. I bought a T3 not long after it came out mine was the lite stainless in 6.5x55. I had nothing but touble with it, it would'nt shoot has well as it should have (compaired to my mates Sako 75 and Tikka 695) the chamber was very tight and cases would stick in it all the time I ended up having to full length size my cases every time and I had to use 140gr bullets as it would'nt shoot anything else. the T3 is poorly made compaired to the older 595 and 695, things that should be steal are plastic! the wood on the hunter model is cheap crap! the bedding is not up to much as the action screws on my rifle were bent after about 50 rounds.
I also had problems with the bolt release when the spring in the button fell out.
I also own a winchester mod 70 in 308 and a CZ 527 in 222 and both rifles were cheaper than the tikka and both shoot far better and are better made.
I replaced my T3 with a Sako 75 and I wish I had bought one from the start.
my advice is buy an older 595/695 or a Sako 75

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I should also add having read 308's post, the wood on the 595 I have was utter cr*p, & has been replaced by an all weather synthetic, but I would'nt swap the tube, even against a Remmy 700 I had! Cool

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308mate:
Don't do it!!! I have just got rid of the T3 lite that I had. I bought a T3 not long after it came out mine was the lite stainless in 6.5x55. I had nothing but touble with it, it would'nt shoot has well as it should have (compaired to my mates Sako 75 and Tikka 695) the chamber was very tight and cases would stick in it all the time I ended up having to full length size my cases every time and I had to use 140gr bullets as it would'nt shoot anything else. the T3 is poorly made compaired to the older 595 and 695, things that should be steal are plastic! the wood on the hunter model is cheap crap! the bedding is not up to much as the action screws on my rifle were bent after about 50 rounds.
I also had problems with the bolt release when the spring in the button fell out.
I also own a winchester mod 70 in 308 and a CZ 527 in 222 and both rifles were cheaper than the tikka and both shoot far better and are better made.
I replaced my T3 with a Sako 75 and I wish I had bought one from the start.
my advice is buy an older 595/695 or a Sako 75

Couldn't have said it better myself.

308m is not alone in having an ever increasing number of problems with his T3.

Berretta designed them to be built down to as cheap as possible manufacturing cost price. Unlike the 595's and 695's or their great predecessor the M55.

In comparison to the M55 the T3 is complete junk.

Lots of people have succumbed to buying T3's thinking they were getting a cheap Sako which they definately ain't. They ain't cheap and they aint Sako's.

Howa's are cheaper and better IMO

Posts: 128 | Location: Lost but I have a compass and know how to use it | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with the general condemnation of the T3.

I had a M695 270win which was OK, but nothing more. I off-loaded it as it was giving me problems with the bedding, groups stringing out horizontally etc.

Would also agree the best value for money new rifle at the minute is a Howa.

I actually think the best overall buy at the minute is second hand pre-M75 Sako's. If you check on Guntrader you can pick up really decent ones for £500 - £600.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't do it!

as the post have said, there are better options out there,

granted my old 595 .243 shot really really well.
as do other 595's ive seen. i don't go much on the T3's though.

stick with your preference, you know you wouldn't be happy with anything else,
although i would love to see a sako in your cabinet!!! it would keep shrek company when he came to visit!!

Big Grin

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
I must have been luckly then 300wsm shot 1" groups from new down to clover leafs once screw cut and recrowned the smith that did the work commented that a match grade replacement barrel would be of no better quality than the factory barrel that was on it.

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me make this clear this Tikka is not for me!!!

If Mr.Yates fetches his monsterous smoke pole up to mine, there will be no room in the cabinet for anything!! Ugly brute that it is!! Big Grin

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of used Tikka T3s here on the shelves. I was trying to figure out how they were.

I guess the fact hat there are lots of them on the shelves must mean they are getting returned.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess the fact hat there are lots of them on the shelves must mean they are getting returned.

Got it in one! patriot

By and large they are mediocre at best, ranging all the way down to being crappy.

There are better value for money choices out there in the market.

Unfortunately some people, having brought but not fully appreciating what it was they had paid good bucks for, continue to plead the case for the T3. Their numbers are slowly diminishing as more and more problems become publicised. There'll be a few die hards I'm sure who will continue to promote it against the rising tide of opinion.

Posts: 128 | Location: Lost but I have a compass and know how to use it | Registered: 13 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
There are a lot of used Tikka T3s here on the shelves. I was trying to figure out how they were.

What sort of calibres and prices as I would not hesitate to buy another T3 especially at US prices Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:
What sort of calibres and prices as I would not hesitate to buy another T3 especially at US prices Big Grin

Confused

Doubt if you could get it shipped. If you could by the time you'd paid freight, admin charges, tax, import duty, handling. You'd not have saved much, and what if it goes wrong, falls apart, you'd have no warranty. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H5:
quote:

Confused

Doubt if you could get it shipped. If you could by the time you'd paid freight, admin charges, tax, import duty, handling. You'd not have saved much, and what if it goes wrong, falls apart, you'd have no warranty. Big Grin

I would just bring it back next time I am there, its not that expensive to get one sent anyway, and a used one would have no warranty anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H5:
quote:

Got it in one! patriot

By and large they are mediocre at best, ranging all the way down to being crappy.

Unfortunately some people, having brought but not fully appreciating what it was they had paid good bucks for, continue to plead the case for the T3. Their numbers are slowly diminishing as more and more problems become publicised. There'll be a few die hards I'm sure who will continue to promote it against the rising tide of opinion.

I do not promote anything and I have no connection with SAKO/TIKKA/BERETTA, I'm only talking about MY OWN T3 Lite and MY personal experience; I'm really satisfied and I have no reason to say the opposite. Your post is debatable at best. Roll Eyes

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a T3 in 25/06 with a reflex silencer - its a very nicely balanced outfit. Accurate and it HOLDS zero, the good trigger is the same as the Sako S491 that I own.

I also have a Mauser and a Remington - the Remington (its for sale) is very badly made compared with the Tikka.

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
How long have you had your 25-06 and did you get a 5/64 allen key?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had the T3 2 years - yes I got the Allen Key thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would just bring it back next time I am there, its not that expensive to get one sent anyway, and a used one would have no warranty anyway.

Oh if only it were that easy. Roll Eyes

Any product sold here in the UK by a legitimate retailer comes with a warranty. Be it new or used. Its called the Sales of Goods Acts '88 '97 & '03 along side the Sales of Goods and Services Act '01.

All of which allow you redress to the small claims court.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
quote:
Originally posted by H5:
quote:

Got it in one! patriot

I do not promote anything and I have no connection with SAKO/TIKKA/BERETTA, I'm only talking about MY OWN T3 Lite and MY personal experience; I'm really satisfied and I have no reason to say the opposite. Your post is debatable at best. Roll Eyes

Your quoted post was in reply to D99's preceding post. I therefore suggest your suggestion that it was debatable is some what flawed.Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey H5, since you post on a "open to the public" forum, you cannot easily say that your post is only "..in replay to XYZ's post". You generally criticized everyone who "plead the case for the T3... and ....will continue to promote it against the rising tide of opinion". So, I DO feel concerned. I bought my "trash" T3, 3 years ago for a good price; with it I can make 5-6 cm. groups at 200 m every day with my reloads (sometimes a little less) and I'm only an average-to-good shooter/reloader; I've shot/killed 12 roe deers and chamois, at distances varying from 130 to 250 meters. 11 of them felt on the spot with 1 shot. 1 roe doe had to be shot (and hit) twice, certainly due to my mistake. While I can certainly believe that some fellow members have/had issues with their T3, I'm getting more and more curious about the reasons of your loathing for the Tikka T3; did you ever own one? Did it give you issues or disappointing performances? Please, let us know! popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get the feeling we have been here before??

popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Hey H5, since you post on a "open to the public" forum, you cannot easily say that your post is only "..in replay to XYZ's post". You generally criticized everyone who "plead the case for the T3... and ....will continue to promote it against the rising tide of opinion". So, I DO feel concerned. I bought my "trash" T3, 3 years ago for a good price; with it I can make 5-6 cm. groups at 200 m every day with my reloads (sometimes a little less) and I'm only an average-to-good shooter/reloader; I've shot/killed 12 roe deers and chamois, at distances varying from 130 to 250 meters. 11 of them felt on the spot with 1 shot. 1 roe doe had to be shot (and hit) twice, certainly due to my mistake. While I can certainly believe that some fellow members have/had issues with their T3, I'm getting more and more curious about the reasons of your loathing for the Tikka T3; did you ever own one? Did it give you issues or disappointing performances? Please, let us know! popcorn

Hey! If you are satisfied with your T3. What can I say? Each to his own.

I currently own 2 M55's which I've had from new, I've owned a 595 and a 695. Both of which have been passed on to family members. I have shot several T3's and do know 5-6 people that still have one. To varying degrees of satisfaction ranging from total regret to "well for the money its OK, but I did buy it cheap".

Personally would I buy one? Not in a million years! For all of the reason stated in this thread and more.

Enjoy yours and I hope it continues to give you some pleasure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H5:

.....Enjoy yours and I hope it continues to give you some pleasure.

Thanks for your kind wish, Sir! Smiler

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
I still want to know where this stock pile of used T3's are I cannot wait to buy 2 or 3 jumping