New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perseverance Pays
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

After his initial success last March George had a rest from stalking until this November.

Unfortunately the roe does wouldn’t co-operate, as sometimes happens the Gods did not smile with deer being out of season staying still and well within range but deer in season being too far off or unsafe etc. He found this very frustrating and started to lose some of his keenness.

A few evenings ago we got 2 hours off and headed out to the field high seat where he had had to pass on a nice muntjac buck twice due to safety or range. The wind was completely wrong as George noted but I told him that sometimes funny things happen. He was irritated he had left his knife behind – I told him that this meant we had a greater chance which he understood after an explanation.

When we arrived I got him to practice getting into position for shots in various parts of the field. We also rehearsed shot positioning. He explained that his right elbow felt insecure on some shots so we practiced me making a rest for it with my fist on my knee – this was to stand us in good stead later on.

A short while later he exclaimed that a muntjac was in the far corner of the field sure enough I could see it in the binos heading into the wood. I could see it tripping along the inner edge of the wood. Hoping it would stop I got him to set up on a gap in the hedge. We waited in that position for a while but it never appeared. Just before I gave up I looked further on and saw that it was coming directly to us in the field.

I explained to George that he had to wait for it to turn but that as the wind was wrong he would have little time. It was very nervous but advanced scenting as it went. At 60yards it turned quarter on just prior to running, I whispered ‘now’ and he shot. The buck jumped and ran a short way getting lower at the front and falling over within 20yards. George was ecstatic. We ate chocolate and drank tea savouring the moment. I took the opportunity to talk about having to put time in for results which he now understands.

On walking up to the buck we could see that it had been a perfect shot with the bullet entering just behind the shoulder. The buck had a beautiful coat and nice worn antlers. Lots of photos later we dressed it noting that the heart had a good crease in it from the bullet.

1st April beckons – George is not taking his knife!

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post

Congratulations. Great story and an experience George will remember forever.

Great intro to stalking/shooting in general.

Please pass my congratulations onto him.

Nice shooting too.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waidmannsheil, George! A fitting tribute to my 1000th AR posting.

What's that nice looking piece of kit you're holding? Can't make it out too well in the photo due the flash of gleeming teeth in the bright smile - would it be a K-95?

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done George, well done Dad. Your well on the way to achieving every hunting fathers dream...a son/daughter who carrys the hunting gene! Someone close to share experiences with.
Love the celebratory tea and chocolate!

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A resounding Weidmannsheil to the skillful and fortunate hunter!! Well done!

(And well done, Dad, as well!)

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations with a succesfull hunt an a nice muntjac thumb

When visiting IanF in February hunting fallow and muntjac, I had three clean misses on those little suckers.
I try to blame it on a borrowed gun, but I guess their somewhat strange shape and movments fooled me complitely.

Anyway, a nice read and a great picture !

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post

Congratulations to both of you. I'm sure it is a hope of most stalkers shooters here to be able to share such experiences with their loved ones.

I remember my first game taken with my father (a hare) and it is an image/day that I will never forget. I'm sure the same goes for George.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done George!!you must of had a good tutor. Welcome to AR and the world of deerstalking..
George, they are big footsteps to follow in, but i'm sure in time you will be able to hold your own, and maybe the o'l man will retire early leaving you some deer to shoot..

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote