New
Find
Notify
Tools

red stag/mouflon hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am very interested in a red stag and mouflon hunt in Central or Eastern Europe. Would be willing to take any other species available as well.

Any advice on where to hunt and/or who to hunt with? I would like to hear from anyone with experience on similar hunts.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Bob Kern at the hunting consortium is one of the best sources for hunts all over Europe.
His Wife is German and they lived there for many years. but now they live in the U.S. somewhere in the southeast I belive. I'm sure a google search would locate him for you.
I took one stag in Germany and one in spain. The best chance at a large stage will probably be eastern Europe but they are starting to produce some large heads in the UK as well. A freind of mine took a stage that had 21 points two years ago in Scottland. Hungery and Poland are still good choices and some big heads are coming in from bulgaria.
I don't have any background with mouflon. I shot a small one in Austria once but it wasn't a trophy.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
www.diana.dk

Diana Wilson is the largest booking agent in the world based out of Denmark.

They have a very nice catalog and send about 800 hunters a year to Poland. Which is where I recommend you go.

Bob Kern doesn't do Poland, he would rather charge you twice or six times as much and send you to Czech or someplace like that.

I know Bob is the guy to go to for an Asian hunt. In Europe it's Diana.

A 5 kg stag on a 5 day hunt is E2000 and you could shoot a mouflon ram for another E800.

A 7kg stag would be about another E1000-1500.

There are cheaper booking agents than Diana, but most of them only deal with German clients.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking for top level trophies, or are representative heads taken on a good hunt satisfactory??

As usual, when you attempt to combine species, you are bound to make compromises. For mouflon the Czech Republic is THE place to go in Europe, but the red deer found there will probably be more representative.

Hungary is an example of a country with top red deer trophies, and you can also take very good mouflon there. This may be your best bet, if you are looking for a top trophy of red with a good chance on mouflon as well. BUT, the best areas for reds won't be the same as the best areas for mouflon, so even in this case, there will be a compromise involved - unless you are willing to book in two different locations and change area, which would certainly be doable.

Likewise in terms of season. Red stags are best hunted in the rut, which depending on where you are heading stretches from mid-September to mid-October (in some of the best parts of Hungary, the stags rut from early September). That is actually a tad early for the mouflon, which won't start rutting until quite a bit later (Nov-Dec). Mouflon can be taken in September, but naturally, the rut is the primary season for hunting them.

Poland is definitely an option - although the red trophies will not be able to match what is possible in Hungary. Again, it depends on what you want.

Here is a URL for a hunting consultant in Hungary: http://www.dianahunts.hu/. Their website is partially in English. It often pays to deal with a consultant who can offer all or most areas, that way you won't be limited to whatever area the consultant happens to deal with.

Here is one such consultant in Hungary: http://www.sevako.hu/startseite/. They offer an awful lot of areas, but their website is in German only.

Good luck - mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO Hungary is the best choice for a combination Red Stag and Mouflon hunt. I recomend the hungarian hunting agency www.molnarjagd.hu

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not interested in gold medal trophies - they are beyond my budget. In looking at pictures on websites, I would be very happy with a stag in the 7.0-8.5 kg range. In other words, I am looking for decent trophies, but the hunting experience is very important to me. I don't want to "shot fish in a barrel", I want to experience a hunt. But I also don't want to waste time wandering around an area that has no chance to produce decent trophies.

The opportunity to take boar and/or fallow would also be a draw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If your expectation of a stag is in the 7.0-8.5 kg range, you'll be hard put to reliably satisfy that anywhere but in Bulgaria and Hungary. Yes, a lot larger stags can be taken there, but the range you mention represents pretty much the absolute top in countries like Poland - not to speak about the Czech Republic.

The good news, is that you might very well be able to find a stag like that in Northern Hungary - in the more hilly areas which also have the better mouflon. Good fallow and pigs are also a Hungarian specialty.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In our area (Forstamt) here in the north of Germany you can shoot red stags in the range from 6,5kg to 8kg. These are quite good stags, in the region silver to gold medal. But we shoot only 6 the year and we are outbooked for the next three years, also you can shoot good moufflon in the +200 points area, but in the next three years ...
You have to pay for 5 days 200€ and for the red stag trophy : weight to square x 80€, that means for a 7kg stag 7x7x80 plus 19% taxe = 4664,80€!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
7.5-8 Kilo stag is a big stag anywhere. Your on the pricy end of the line.

What kind of budget are you looking at for the hunt?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is not cheap, but there are no other costs for guiding and so on! These are the prices for state forests in our county(Niedersachsen).

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to gauge trophy size based on photos. Having hunted stags in Scotland and New Zealand and being an SCI scorer, I have a good idea of what a 275 point SCI stag looks like vs. a 320 vs. a 400. Just my personal opinion, I think some of those high point gold medal stags with 20-30 points and unnatural palmation and mass just look like freaks. I prefer a traditional 6x6 or 7x7 with good mass and length. Its just real hard for me to equate SCI points with kg scores from pictures.

As far as a budget, I don't necessarily have a hard limit, but want the best value for my money. With the prices that go up exponentially as size goes up, getting the "right sized" stag amy mean I can shoot other game while there.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
AK,

You need to call Bob Kern and Diana (you'll have to get up super early for that one) and ask those questions.

A bunch of nimrods on AR aren't going to get you the data you need.

Not every area of Europe has every species of game. 90% will have wildboar, some will have fallow, a few will have chamois, a few will have mouflon.

Count Bucher in Austria has everything ibex, chamois, wildboar, stags, fallow, roe, mouflon, even tahr. But he's $500 a day and his trophy fees are a touch higher. This is one of Kerns outfitters.

Most places in Poland, CZ, and Hungary will have 3 or 4 species. Some will have more.

Establish some goals say chamois, wild boar, stag, and mouflon. Then your looking at Slovenia, CZ or Austria because you won't get the chamois and mouflon together in most other places.

Get rid of the wild boar, mouflon and chamois and you can add England to the mix. Then you can kill sika, Pere David, fallow, red stag, and wild goat.

So many choices.

I think a 7kg red stag, 18cm wildboar, 2.5 kg fallow, and a 60cm mouflon could be had for E6000 give or take E1000. In Poland, CZ, and Hungary. None of these are top trophies, but they are all nice trophies.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Pere David are only available in Parks in the UK, as are barrasingha. All the others are available wild.

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote