New
Find
Notify
Tools

BASC firearms
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Within recent weeks BASC here in Northern Ireland have sorted out a problem I had with firearms licencing. The approximate time between speaking to BASC and having someone from firearms branch on the phone to me was 20 minutes, previous to that there had been very little communication in nearly 8 months and what there was didn't help much. The time from BASC becoming involved to a resolution was 3 working days. I don't want to go into details as there is a possibility that precedent has been set in relation to some aspects of what is and isn't allowed and it will take a while for that all to shake out.

However, it must be said that BASC were most helpful and without their assistance I might never have reached a resolution.

It is not uncommon to hear bad things about BASC so I thought to pass on some good news. The assistance I have received certainly makes my subscription seem good value for money.

It appears that in many cases members with problems with firearms licencing are not approaching BASC, perhaps assuming that nothing can be done when in truth BASC may be able to provide a simple and fast resolution. With this in mind if you do have a firearms problem I would suggest that you get in touch with your local BASC office and see what they can do for you, I'm sure not every case will turn out as well as mine did but it can't do any harm to give it a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your one of the lucy ones I went to the countryside alliance because of the complete lack of help of the basc and also because the CAI were doing 18months membership for £38.
but maybe the basc have have got there act together

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In light of the bad reports I had heard I thought to post a positive one but it is clear that others have had more negative experiences than positive ones. So far my one experience has been very positive, not just because I got what I wanted because that wasn't completely the case, but because I thought BASC did a good job and appeared to be working well with firearms branch.

However, I suspect that BASC, certainly here in NI, are having something of a focus on helping members with firearms at present so if you are a member and need help then now is probably the time.

I have no connection with the BASC other than through being a member but it only seems fair to give credit where it is due.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caorach:
I don't want to go into details as there is a possibility that precedent has been set in relation to some aspects of what is and isn't allowed and it will take a while for that all to shake out.

Any chance of a tiny hint about what this help relates to?

Regards....

....Titan

One of Us
Picture of 63
posted Hide Post
I had similiar support from BASC in a dispute with my constabulary over the necessity for DSC1 prior to having a Deer condition added to my FAC.

Wierdly, 9 months after them telling me I couldn't use a CF rifle to shoot deer under the supervision of a professional, they were happy to grant me an open certificate for 3 deer legal rifles.....

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had similiar support from BASC in a dispute with my constabulary over the necessity for DSC1 prior to having a Deer condition added to my FAC.

All this bullshit is coming about because of a self-appointed select few self-important idiots who see it as a chance to make money out of selling their DSC qualification.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you've hit the nail right on the head! here in N.Ireland for quite a few years now if you want a deer legal rifle then you must have a DSC level1, now tell me there were no back handers there!!! Mad

Posts: 290 | Location: N.Ireland | Registered: 12 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cohannon
posted Hide Post
I don't know about backhanders but there is definite collusion between BASC, BDS etc and the Northern Ireland firearms licensing dept within the PSNI. The following is the response of a senior firearms licensing officer to a FAC variation request to use a fullbore target rifle to control deer on the applicant's own farm.

"An application for a rifle to control deer would need to be supported by the appropriate qualification such as DMQ and the only time we would make exceptions to this would be if the applicant can supply verifiable proof of competence which is equivalent to the DMQ. For example sometimes applicants have been able to satisfy us of competency by other means and the BASC etc has confirmed that indeed what they have would be of a similar standing to their qualification. It not so much around where the rifle is to be used but the competence of the holder to use it safely."

I can only read this as an agreement between BASC, BDS, other DSC Level 1 providers and the PSNI. The PSNI may no longer have the excuse of 30 years terrorist warfare to interpret firearms law as they go along but they do so anyway.

Oh! and it still takes them 6 months plus to process even a simple FAC variation with no fear of a complaint. This is due to the only complaint route being an appeal to the Secretary of State who rubber stamps the Chief Constable's decisions without exception. The only further course of appeal is to the Lord Chief Justice, if you have very deep pockets. I see no sign, anytime soon, of BASC or the other shooting organisations taking this atrocious firearms dept to task and supporting their Northern Ireland members and the guntrade retailers. Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary could require this firearms dept to perform at an acceptable level and within the Firearms Act and Home Office guidelines if only BASC etc had the desire to roll up their sleeves and actually fight for member's rights. .... Roll Eyes

Posts: 90 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All I can say Cohannon, and I appreciate that my experience does not reflect that of everyone, is that BASC worked hard with firearms to assist me. Like you I am inclinded to think that BASC should fight harder to support us when it comes to firearms branch but in my specific case I now believe that cooperation and having a good working relationship with firearms branch were what helped rather than being in a position of dispute or conflict.

As you will understand I am reluctant to discuss details but all I can say is that I couldn't of got better service had I of employed someone full time to represent my case to firearms. Everyone I had contact with here in NI went the extra mile for me. I have absolutely no "connections" at all with any of the BASC people involved and merely contacted them as a member, I am aware of no reason why my treatment should be "special." Praise where it is due: the assistance I got from BASC was absolutely first class.

On the DSC situation I am in two minds. One side of me says that we shouldn't need it and that it is just another restriction. On the other hand I need a driving test before I can drive, or a medical degree before I can become a doctor. In light of that perhaps it is best that BASC/BDS etc. design a course that is useful and acceptable to members rather than eventually have the government force something upon us that has been made up by some civil servant.

I am still torn between the options but suspect that in the long term the DSC might be the best option for us all. I guess the question is would we rather that BASC/BDS manage the course necessary to get deer on your FAC or would we rather that firearms branch were organising and managing it? It might not be ideal, it might leave us feeling a little ripped off or lacking in real options but I suspect that what we have is the least bad option.

In saying all of that I fully understand your position and why you feel as you do and to be honest I feel the same way as you at least 2 days out of 5 so I'm far from sure of my ground.