THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    EXPRESS & IanF swap hunt. Great sucess!!!

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EXPRESS & IanF swap hunt. Great sucess!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all, this is just a short writeup of the memorable hunt I had with AR member IanF and would like to just tell you all about it.

I got to asking about hunting muntjac and Chinese water deer in the UK on AR out of curiosity, though as things evolved I found myself organizing a swap hunt in the week before Christmas, with a hunt for Ian being planned early 2003 with me here in Italy.

After bit of confusion at the airport we finally met up and went to look for Ians� car.
The weather was no good on our drive down to our first hunting area that we decide to make a deviation to actually visit the spot we would hunt in the morning.
As the car rolled to a halt, I noticed a teddy bear shaped deer bedded down not 50meters away�
jumped out very exited��Look that�s a Chinese Water Deer!!��
Take note: CWD do not like tourists getting out of their cars and shouting whilst pointing their arms at them. Lesson number one.

Ian had organized everything from permission with landowners to working out a deal with an outfitter friend, accommodation as well some fun activities on the side... We had an area of private property to hunt on and the outfitter provided his grounds later in the hunt. The private land was not huge, but there sure were a few Chinese water deer on the place!

Just think that on my first night in the UK I went skiing INDOORS on artificial snow in a rock climbing joint!!!

On the first morning I took what we thought was a mediocre CWD buck. After one easy miss, another buck presented itself for a spectacular running shot at close quarters took him through the shoulders with Ian�s oh so cool silenced .270 (in the UK silencers/suppressors are permitted) which he had graciously loaned me. Due to the forwards momentum of the running deer he actually pulled off a full forwards summersault!!!!

We moved on to area with Ian�s friend Dave where I took a nice muntjac just before dawn in the first morning hues of light I used the illuminated reticle on a Blaser straight pull in .30-06 and the little beastie flopped over dead.

In the last minutes of light of the same day, what may be a gold medal Chinese water deer appeared 100m away. They are certainly not easy animals to judge, especially at last light. I flipped a coin inside me head and decide to go for it. Again the illuminated reticle was very helpful and the little buck simply collapsed.

We spent another day under the rain to no avail, when a fox appeared somewhere around the 275m mark(my estimation) Ian said 350, but he had left his range finder in his pocket and couldn�t remember how it get it out...Anyway the rifle was silenced (and had a trajectory like a cannonball) so I let off a shot only to miss by a country mile. When Ian found the rangefinder it turned out to be 411m.

We compared the Chinese buck from the first morning and they both turned out to be great trophies.

Over the course of the week we saw deer every day, sometimes 10 or 15 sometimes just a few.
The weather was the best the Brits have to offer(awful cold) but help up it�s end of the deal well and the company was great.
Home cooked British breakfasts by Dave�s wife - sausages & eggs, toast, baked beans � the works, very good hospitality and cheer all round.
We took a day off hunting for a pilgrimage to the gun rooms of Holland & Holland, W. Evans and Grant & Lang, as well as a quick meet up with another AR member, DeerDogs and another friend of mine from Australia for a beer in a London Pub.

I�d have to say that all the people I came across were extremely nice, from the landowners to Ians� family with whom I enjoyed a good old traditional Christmas dinner with, which was very nice of them all to have me with them and make me feel at home. I can not speak highly enough of Ian an the job he did in organizing the hunt, all I can say is that I can�t wait till he get his own trip organized and I can repay the hospitality and good times.

So I�ll take this occasion to publicly thank Ian for his efforts and congratulate him for the result.
Hope to see you soon mate.

Joe

PS. I need someone to post the photos for me�?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
If you email them to me I will be happy to put them up for you.
[Smile]

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS/Joe

Sounds like a great hunt in the UK for Christmas and a good friend too. Thanks for the story.

Photos? Having any problems if so I can post them for you as well

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Express

Received the pics today. I will reduce them a little so they load well on the web and then post them on this message.

Thanks Mate.

(1st Feb - photos posted on following message)

[ 02-01-2003, 15:32: Message edited by: NitroX ]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey Express,
good to hear that your hunt was a succes and you met a new friend.

all the best to italy
from germany [Smile]

konstantin

[ 02-02-2003, 01:56: Message edited by: konst#1 ]

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nitro.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Here are Express' and IanF's pics

-
Chinese Water Deer - first pic

-
Chinese Water Deer

-
Chinese Water Deer - fangs

-
Muntjac

(Konst - I am only posting the photos for Express.)

[ 02-01-2003, 15:29: Message edited by: NitroX ]

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Express and IanF

Chinese Water Deer and Muntjac are certainly different from what I am used to.

Looks like you had fun at Christmas in 2002.

PS Look how well Express' camoflage works in the last photo.

[ 02-01-2003, 18:33: Message edited by: NitroX ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitrox.

Trust me - it wasn't posed as a promotion shot for the'Wetlands'pattern - but the design certainly proved effective in the dry grasses and reeds in the area! [Wink]

I generally wear Realtree 'Timber' as its more suited to the areas I tend to hunt. Having said that, I was surprised at how the 'Wetlands' pattern toned down and blended well against a wide variety of backgrounds. It seemed to get much 'browner' once you were 20m or so away. May end up getting a set myself!

Express had a good time, the weather held and the Deer were there to be found. Now its his turn to sweat and try and find a few pigs for when I visit Italy in March! I can't wait.

For those of you considering using the forum to arrange a swap hunt - go for it! I have made some great new friends in the process, whilst gaining the opportunity to hunt various species in different countries. No horror stories to report - we are all hunters after all!

Rgds to all.

IanF [Smile]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Express,
which caliber u have used ?
I�m wondering that no blood is to be found in the photos ....
1) either you prepared the places well for taking a pic
or
2) u have u used a "Bet�ubungsgewehr" (not knowing the english expression: the gun with which u fire these little arrows that only will make the deers sleep for some time ) [Big Grin]

Great pic�s and again..nice story and good to hear that both of u enjopied your hunting party.
cheers
konstantin

[ 02-02-2003, 02:07: Message edited by: konst#1 ]

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
IanF

I have a set of full size gaitors in probably the same wetlands pattern or very similar. Just rememered them.

Have only used them once as they are insulated and generally too hot for here. I wear a realtree type pattern jacket over them.

Now they should work well in the long reeds. Never seen them from a distance as I have always had them on. [Smile]

What is a good size for a Chinese Water deer in terms of tusk size?

Also for a Muntjac for antlers?

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Konstantin,
I used a silenced .270 with light handloads, borrowed from Ian for the first water deer, which left a golf ball size exit hole on the other side.
The other two deer were taken with a .30-06 and factory, (I assume) ammo.

There were just small exit hole on both, but we put quite a bit of car into setting up for the photos.

It was a great hunt, and I'm looking forward to making sure Ian has a good time when he comes.
I have just recieved an e-mail confirming his flights, so it looks like we're set for the first week of March.
He should have some photos of Pigs to show for it by the end of his trip.

All the best.
Joe.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe.

Now don't you be calling my baby ugly! [Wink]

That first Chinese you took clean through the shoulders at 40m. Of course that teeny lil .270 is gonna expand a tad more than a '06 through the ribs at a 130m! [Smile]

Nice shooting bud, I've never seen a running deer do a mid air full somersault with double toe loop before!

Be seeing you soon!

Rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I didn't know they had CWD in Devon or was it somewhere else? Also is that 30-06 an R93 off road?

I too can reccomend the exchange route providing both parties are on the same wavelength.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

You're right of course - I have some grounds near Woburn for CWD - also, we shot over a very productive area near Wood Walton fen - to the south of Peterborough.

Blaser is the R93 Offroad.

rgds Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

Are you pleased with the Offroad?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifles and nice critters. I am, at the moment considering a Blaser synthetic safari in .416 with an extra mid-weight 300 mag bbl for plains game.

Again, Congratulations!

JohnTheGReek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Not my rifle - feels a little light for calibre for my taste, a range session with major calibre would start to slap a little I'm guessing.

Don't like the fake wood finish on the example we were playing with - but then, my taste runs to satin black!

OK as a carry rifle - didnt bench for accuracy so can't comment on that. Like the concept - feel that the rifle/mounts etc are ridiculously overpriced for the quality you get in the R93.

Would I get one? Yes. But wouldnt sell a perfectly adequate rifle in order to do so. Don't think it's that good.

rgds Ian

<Doc Garnett>
posted
1894 --
The Blaser R93 mags come with longer bbls .. 26 in +/-, I believe, which being heavier and having longer moment, improves the felt recoil. The R93's in the heavy Afican calibers, .375 and up, are altogether more heavily constructed. Barrel, receiver and stock are beefier. FWIW, my own R93 in .30-06 seems to recoil less than other rifles of mine in the same and even smaller calibers, despite the light weight and overall short, carbine length. I believe it is the design of the stock and the receiver that causes this phenomenom. I disagree with the assessment that they appear cheaply made relative to the price. Rather, the light weight alloys used , which probably give some a negative impression, are part and parcel of the ingenuity of their design, such as is the case with the M16/AR15. When the AR15's first appeared, all of us traditionalists were skeptical at best ... but now .. AR 15's DOMINATE in the competitions where they are allowed, and I have seen a few in the hands of varminters and even deer hunters. I am not marketing either AR15's or R93's - merely pointing out that new technologies always take some getting used to. Breechloaders were once despised and doubted by advocates of muzzle loaders, too.
Regards --
Doc