New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talk to me about the Blaser 95
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm in love...can someone give me an idea of the prices for the various grades both in the US and Europe?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Hi Bill grades start at the Prestige and go well beyond I believe the highest grade is the Diana. We stock the 95 in the Prestige, it really is one of the best single shots I have used or seen.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you also had a look to the Krieghoff Hubertus? It is the direct competitor and looks also good.

Best regards

Posts: 147 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
I'm in love...can someone give me an idea of the prices for the various grades both in the US and Europe?

I perfectly understand your feelings. I got a used one last year in 6,5x57R. It is both very easy to carry and shoots like a match rifle. Don�t go fo a magnum cartridge and don�t install(horribile dictu) a muzzle brake! You will like it.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, presumably you know this page: Blaser K95 page - English

At least it will show you most of the K95 models available in Europe (calibers etc). I particularly like the new full-stock model ("Stutzen"), they are so short and sweet that it is almost incredible. Expensive, though.

If you follow some of the links on this page: Blaser accessories page you can also see some of the accessories/upgrades available (wood, engravings etc etc). Warning some of this stuff is high $$$ territory - in particular the higher grade woods and engravings!

Blaser does not publish prices on the web - presumably because prices differ in different markets?? I'm also not sure what is directly available in the US - I have heard the US importer is not so responsive with respect to getting stuff with less of a market in the US - perhaps understandably so??

You can always contact Blaser for a quote - although whether the quote is good for the States, I don't know. Here is the Blaser contact link:
Blaser Europe Contact

Good luck - and start saving [Wink]

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
DUK, is the 6.5x57 simply a 7x57 necked down ?

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBF:
DUK, is the 6.5x57 simply a 7x57 necked down ?

Indeed. It is, like the .257 Roberts, based on the 7x57 case with Mauser bottom and available both rimmed for break tops as well as non-rimmed for repeaters. It is a very old cartridge and, I understand, designed in the 1890s specifically for hunting, there was never (correct me if I am wrong) an application for any military. You find still many old drillings and over-under combination rifles in this caliber which is very flat-shooting with 6 gramm bullets and kills very reliably big game with the heavy 9 gramm bullets.

In times of the Magnumitis it seems a little underpowered but, like the fans of the Roberts over there claim as well, it is all bullet placement. I used it with a Nosler Partition in 120 grains to kill my so far biggest hog with gutted 90 kgs., it was a one-shot kill and our boar are tough!

Regards, D.

<JOHAN>
posted
DB Bill

Busted again [Big Grin] How dare you, get a proper drilling. I guess you thoughts about Blaser products is because of to little to do at the office and plans of retirement. [Big Grin]

Take a look at the ferlach guns,once you have looked at them there is an absolute "need" [Eek!]

For the price of the more expencive blasers I would look at something else perhaps a austrian or german drilling Sauer & Sohn, Wolf, Heym. Much more qualty for the money [Embarrassed]

/ JOHAN

[ 05-13-2003, 20:48: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan......three barrels is, I'm afraid, more options than I can handle. The one time I handled a Model 95 it felt like a magic wand in my hands and as I have all the "serious" rifles I really need I thought it was time to buy something different. I like the looks of the double rifle but in reality it wouldn't get much use but I do see a 95 getting used a lot....the problem I see is deciding how many barrels I want to get and calibers I should have.

I would prefer to buy in Europe if possible especially if Blaser would let me sort thru their wood pile.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Bill, we have all the wood samples the same as in Europe.

Aleko

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
DUK, is there any real difference between the 6.5x57 and the 257 Roberts ? Are they loaded to different pressures, do they have a different shoulder or is there any difference at all aside from the names ? Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds a bit like the difference between the 7x57 and 275 Rigby...none at all [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GBF
The 257Roberts is a 25/257 caliber. Same as 250Savage and 25-06.
The 6.5x57 is a .264caliber same as 6.5x55 and .264WinMag.

Posts: 92 | Location: Jamtland, Sweden | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
I had realized that [Smile] but stll, there is but 0.14mm difference in diameter which practically makes them identical.

Regards

<JOHAN>
posted
DB Bill
Ohh, sorry I was just trying to give you annother suggestion for new rifles regarding the drillings [Wink]

If you order a double form some of the smaller european makers I guess you can sneak in to their shop and look in the wood pile.

I think the doubles from Ferlach or Chapuis are very nice.

There is quite alot of paper work to go thru if you want to import the rifle by your self. state department will ask for all sorts of silly papers [Roll Eyes] [Eek!]

/ JOHAN

[ 05-14-2003, 03:48: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GBF:
DUK, is there any real difference between the 6.5x57 and the 257 Roberts ? Are they loaded to different pressures, do they have a different shoulder or is there any difference at all aside from the names ? Correct me if I am wrong but it sounds a bit like the difference between the 7x57 and 275 Rigby...none at all [Roll Eyes]

Interesting subject. The same applies to the 7x64 which is called .280 Rem over there, with very small differences in case measurements.

According to my calculations the Roberts uses a .257 inch bullet whereas (most of) the metric 6,5 calibers require .264 inch. By the way, the 6 mm Rem/.244 Rem can be called in metric 6,2x57, it is also based on the 7x57 Mauser case.

There are also different dies for the calibers, unlike the .22 Savage which is usable also for the meric 5,6x52R.

Overall, I would say that in general terms there is nothing new under the sun, maybe with the exception of the new SA magnums with short cases. Still, I don�t see the need to save a fraction of an inch in case length when using a bolt action. Better get a break top or Ruger No. 1 which save roughly 4 inches instead still using regular cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the R93 but even to a dyed in the wool mauser fan the K95 was such a pleasure to handle I went and ordered one in 6.5x57R (with a spare 5.6x50R barrel) immediately.

Montero has one such and has fantastic accuracy (0.5") repeatable. His last 2 (albeit previous model) were this accurate so it does not appear to be a fluke.

The factory is very helpful and puts the importer to shame. Ask first at the factory (by email)and then present the details to the importer. By this way I was able to order a custom long barrel (25.6")a straight comb stock (UK models are hogs back) and barrel with no sights or holes for sights (UK models with iron sights)and to specify dark wood.

All K95s are made to order at no extra cost (but a 6month wait) and have a plethora of options to choose from. My only criticism thus far is that the scope mounts are too high for the UK/US market and I am currently investigating a way of using a gunsmithed EAW rail and Weaver mounts to get the scope much much lower.

With respect Johan is talking out his posterior on the K95. The Krieghoff is plug ugly to the US/UK eye and has the same tilting block action for double the cost with much fewer options, the Merkel is a fortune is limited to lower pressures and takes 2years plus.

My K95 comes in July and I can honestly say I haven't been anticipating a rifle so much since I got my first mauser custom.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:
... The Krieghoff is plug ugly to the US/UK eye and has the same tilting block action for double the cost with much fewer options, ....

Where do you have those figure from? The Blaser you will get for about 2300€ and the Krieghoff for about 2500€ both standard version.
And if your trader does not offer you the same options, then it is his fault.

If you have ordered a gun, your trader should be able to fix a date for a visit at Krieghoff and to tell them your wishes in the plant.

May be for you from UK not comfortable but that ist the same for Blaser. The distance is just about 60km between.

Best regards

[ 05-14-2003, 18:29: Message edited by: Sauenj�ger1 ]

Posts: 147 | Location: Germany | Registered: 16 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
In regards to the mount we use the Blaser weaver base with low Warne rings. I like this combo very much.

Aleko

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sauenjager1,

Hope I haven't offended you - yes the problem no doubt lies with the importer who can't even show a demonstrator and quite frankly did his best to put me off the whole idea.

Heritage,

Very interested in this - I presume you are talking of the EAW weaver rail? Which Warne rings?

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
This would be the Blaser marked weaver rail saddle mount and the low Warne PA rings

Aleko