THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    Leaving for Spain hunt in 3 weeks, any suggestions?

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Leaving for Spain hunt in 3 weeks, any suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted
Holly and I are going to Spain with another couple for two weeks to hunt red deer, fallow deer, mouflon and wild boar. We are booked with Alfonso Fabres of HuntinSpain and will hunt out of his lodge near Salamanca.

We will sightsee in Madrid for 4 days prior to the hunt and spend some time in Salamanca after the hunt.

I know we have Forum members who live in Spain and many other members who have hunted there. Could you please share some suggestions about what we should do and see in Madrid and Salamanca?

We would also appreciate a suggestion about hotels in Madrid. We want to avoid chain hotels full of foreign tour groups and find a nice, quiet hotel that offers an authentic Spanish atmosphere.

Also, any tips about what clothing, guns and equipment we will want for our hunt in mid-September. We are hoping that the red stags will be roaring then, what do you think?

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure that Alfonso will take care of everything, even the smallest details, as he is as perfect host as you'll ever find.
Madrid is a rather large city with 4 million-plus
citizens, with, literally, a thousand places to visit, including the some of the best restaurants, museums, theaters, shopping, bullring, historics, etc., in the world,
A tour to Toledo and Segovia, both 45 minutes away from the city, is a must.
You should not expect cold weather, even though it may be a bit chilli at dawn or dusk. You should not expect heavy rainfull, just the occasional shower.
Regarding the hotel, ask Alfonso to book one for you. I would suggest Hotel Santo Mauro, but again, there are a thousand hotels that I am sure will meet your expectations.
Normally the red deer shall start roaring by middle of September, but depending on weather conditions it could be before or after, as I guess happens elsewhere. Regarding clothing, hunting in the old Europe is a very traditional activity, and Europeans are not specially fond of camouflage. But bring along whatever you find comfortable with.
A cartridge starting with the .270WCF and ending in the 300 Weatherby Mag will suffice, with the 7mm or 30-06 being about optimum.
I am sure that you and Holly and your friends will enjoy your stay. Weather is usually nice, people are extremely hospitable, food is fantastic, and you'll have a good, good, hunt.
Feel fre to contact me on my e-mail, should you need more information or whatever.
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Montero, thanks for your response and helpful suggestions!

Regarding hotels, I contacted the Spain Tour Office in Miami and asked for their suggestions for non-tourist hotels and they recommended the following:

Gran Hotel Velazquez
Velazquez St, 62
Madrid
Tel. 011.34.(91) 575-2800
Fax (91) 575-2809

Hotel Suecia
Marqu�s de Casa Riera, 4
Te�f.001.34.(91) 531.6900
Fax (91) 521.7141

NH Alcal� Hotel
Alcal� St. 66
Tel 011.34(91) 435-1060
Fax (91) 435-1105

Are you familiar with any of these?

We would also like to consider hiring a private car and english-speaking tour guide while in Madrid. Do you know any that you can recommend, or should we have the hotel we choose make these arrangements?

[ 08-20-2003, 00:14: Message edited by: Mark in SC ]

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The three hotels that you mention are nice. A bit too large for my taste, as I do prefer smaller, cosier, more charming places. Hotel Santo Mauro is worth taking a look at http://www.travel-in-madrid.com/hotel/santo-mauro/spanish.htm
I've had friends staying at that hotel several times and they always praised it.

Anyway, among the three that you mention my choice would be the Gran Hotel Velazquez since the other two are in much busier streets. Velazquez street is a more residential area, and extremely well located as well.

Whatever your choice is, the Hotel should be able to make any arrangements on your behalf regarding
a private English speaking guide, car, and whatever.

I always like making those arrangement in advance but sure you may do them over the counter.

Do not hesitate to contact me on my e-mail if you need any more information or if you need help of any sort. I am sure that Alfonso will take care of everything but if you plan to be on your own and need anything just contact me.

Regards,

montero

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Montero, once again, thanks for your assistance!

I tried to make reservations at the Gran Hotel Velazquez through Expedia, but received a response stating that they don't have any rooms available from Sept. 11 - 14th.

I looked at dozens of other Madrid hotels in the Expedia search results, and many of them did not have rooms available from the 11th to the 14th. Is there some sort of big event taking place in Madrid at that time?

I sent Alfonso, Jr. an email and asked for his suggestions as well. Hopefully we will have his response soon, because time is getting short.

Once we finalize the hotel choice, we would like to invite you to join us for a drink one evening so we can meet and thank you in person for your assistance.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

please check your e-mail.

thanks.

montero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark in SC,

Good Luck on your hunt in Spain! I hunted the Red Deer when they were roaring and it was quite an experience. Please post the details of the trip upon your return and include pictures of your trophies. I'm off for the Seville area in October and am anxious to hear about your trip.

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Mark in SC,

I am very interested in your hunt and with your travels in Spain. Am anxious to hear the details of your trip upon your return. Good Luck!

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
We contacted the Gran Hotel Velazquez directly and were able to make reservations, so we have solved that problem. Now it's just a matter of packing and getting ready to go!

Thanks for your message, Montero. We will look forward to getting together with you in Madrid.

All four of us are really interested in seeing a traditional Spanish bullfight. Will that be possible between Sept. 11th - 14th? If so, should we try to buy tickets online in advance, or wait until we arrive in Madrid?

Rest assured, there will be plenty of stories to tell and photos to share when we get back!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Feria de Oto�o or Autmn Season does not start until the 5th of October. In the meantime we have less important bullfights.
The corrida (bullfight) of the 14th of September is with three year old bulls that weigh 350-400 kilo, while the toros (bulls) of the major events are 4 year old and in the 500 kg class. Nevertheles it should be an unforgetable experience.
You should not have trouble buying the tickets at the plaza on the same day, but coming from so far away I would always get them im advance, just in case.
You may buy them, and find general information here
http://www.ticketstoros.com/ingles/teyci.html
Be aware that we write the dates Day/Month/Year and not like you do.
I'll be out hunting that Friday and Saturday, but will be happy to meet you sometime on Sunday the 14th.
With compliments,
montero

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Thanks once again, Montero!

Through the link you provided, I was able to buy 4 tickets, Barrera/sombra, for the bullfight on Sunday, Sept. 14th. We are really looking forward to that experience!

Alphonso, as you know raises bulls for the fighting ring at his estancia where we will be hunting. They offered to put me in the practice ring at his estancia if I wanted to try my hand at being a matador.

Of course, he would only put me in the ring with a very young bull or tired old cow; not a real fighting bull. Depending on how I feel about it after seeing a real bullfight, I may take him up on the offer.