New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calibre choice
 Login/Join

posted
I have a free slot on my Firearms Certificate for another rifle

I`ve got a .243 and 30/06 and I`m thinking somewhere in between them with a 7mm.

The probables I`m thinking are the 7-08 or the 7mm Rem Mag.

Does anyone (particularly the brit contingent) have any info and recommendations of either?

Cheers

Tim

[ 02-22-2003, 23:58: Message edited by: Midlander ]

Posts: 31 | Location: UK | Registered: 04 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
"Between" them would definitely be the 7mm-08 since the 7mm Magnum must be considered a tad more powerful than the 30-06. However I have seen loading data making the 7mm-08 on a par with 7mm magnum factory loads, but whether that is wise or not I leave to you [Razz]

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Midlander

I'm not sure of your selection, but why not go for a larger caliber that can be used for bear, moose and bigger African plains game and boars. A 338 win , 9,3X62 or a 375 H&H?

I guess you use the 243 for roe deer and 3006 for redstag, fallows etc. I think there is not much place inbetween theese the two rounds. Personally I would replace both with a 7 mm (280 rem, 7X64 or 7mm rem mag) or a 270 of some sort. Them you would have some more room of one bigger caliber and one smaller. Just a suggestion [Wink]

/ JOHAN

posted Hide Post
I have never use 7-08 but my hunting friend has 7mm remmag and it is excellent long range caliber. Much more better than 243, 30-06 or 7-08. And altough it is MAGNUM, the recoil is not so bad like it�s big brother�s: 300 and 338.

Posts: 18 | Location: Turku, Finland | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with JOHAN on this one. [Eek!] The rifles you have will take any game on your "Island". If you are planning to hunt "off world" I would get something bigger.
Or even if I wasn't I would get a big bore for the "fun" of it. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midlander.

Whilst firmly of the opinion that everyone should hold at least one .375hh on their ticket - I have to try and pay attention to answering your question! [Smile]

Your existing calibre selection covers the UK to perfection. What do you actually want the extra rifle to do that your existing ones dont?

I ended up with a battery that I feel copes with just about anything that I may encounter .... anywhere. Allows for a bunch of fun as well!

.22lr - Of course, doesnt mash small game
.223rem - Fox and longer range vermin shooting
.270&30'06 - almost anything that walks
.375hh - everything else! Inc Reds here in uk

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
<fortune>
posted
text as Ian F. I've got 22rf, 223rem 243win and 270win I don't think that anything bigger is needed for the UK. I'm Looking at going smaller. 17 rem

posted Hide Post
Its true that my current arsenal covers just about anything I need but you know what they say you can never have too many rifles [Smile]

As to going even bigger I`m not sure that I`d get the use out of anything above 30 cal unless I start down the road of moose/elk etc which isn`t an option at the moment (so the wife tells me)

I might justify something bigger if I could use it on boar and reds.Have you used your H&H on boar Ian and was it hard gaining permission from her majestys to use it on reds.I know my constabulary isn`t the most consumer friendly bunch and might throw a spanner in the works.

Cheers

Tim

posted Hide Post
Fortune

I shot a .17 Rem for a few seasons and had some fun with it.The old wives tales such as needed cleaning after every few shots and exploding on raindrops proved to be totally false and I`d put it up against any .22cf up to 200 yds any day.The only problems I encountered was it was affected by wind drift and factory ammo not expanding but handloads soon cured this

Sold the reloading gear for it a few months ago when I changed to a .223 but I can find reloading data if you need some loads

Tim

[ 02-23-2003, 23:07: Message edited by: Midlander ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, what do you need to do get permission to own another rifle? If you said you were planning a week in S.A or Zim would that qualify? Would anyone check up? Just curious.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Tim1>
posted
Tim

Over the last few seasons, I've possessed a similar selection of rifles to your own - .243 & .308 which I feel is adequate for anything in England and Scotland. However, myself and my brother have recently been influenced by Ken Aldridge, a professional staker on Islay who uses a 7mm Rem Mag exclusively. He uses it all over the world to take anything up to dangerous game.

Recoil is stiff but in my opinion, unless you can get your hands on a laser blaster, there is little else as flat. When you consider the performance of the calibre then I feel it is worth putting up with the recoil which is about as much as I can comfotably and accurately shoot.

To revert to your original question, I don't see any point in opting for the 7mm-08 as it is too close to your other calibres but the Rem Mag would give you a bit more versatility when considered with your other rifles.

Finally, as I'm sure you know, most if not all of the medium to large calibres are suitable for anything in the British Isles, the important thing is to know your calibre and have confidence. If you speak to ten different people you will get as many opinions on what is the best calibre.

My opinion is get a 7mm Rem Mag [Wink] . I collected mine from Minsterley yesterday!

Regards

Tim

<fortune>
posted
Stu C
If I wanted another rifle I would have to apply to the police for a variation order, which will cost XXX I would have to give a good reason for wanting the addition of another weapon. If I said that I wanted to shoot in Africa I would have to provide proof that it was a bona fide safari with proof of booking dates and probably a letter from the safari agent. If you�ve got the security for the extra weapon then you�d probably get the weapon added to the certificate

posted Hide Post
Strangely enough I was at Minsterley picking up some ammo yesterday afternoon as well.

They had a second hand Mannlicher in stock although whatever calibre I decide on I`m swayed towards the Sako 75 threaded for a sound mod

What make did you opt for ?

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midlander.

I had no problems with permission for the .375hh. I varied another slot and justified it by enclosing a letter from an outfitter.

a) In it he noted that the calibre I suggested bringing was suitable for dangerous game.... but requested that I was fully practiced with it BEFORE coming on a dangerous game safari.

b) Any shot I take is only fired if I can see an earth backstop behind the target. Thus the calibre I use is totally inconsequential - they all end up safely contained.

c) I control Deer, Wild Boar and Vermin for farmers - I therefore have to have permission to use the calibre for any of the above that I may encounter so I do not 'inadvertantly breach the conditions of my FAC'. Note b) above to allay any fears that the FLO may have about granting this condition.

That wording justifies my current exemption - I can use the rifle on everything I have permission to take in the UK.

I find the calibre does very little damage to light game like Roe - calibre sized hole in and out - as the bullets are set up for heavier animals and shuffle along at 'only' 2400fps. On the Pigs and Reds I've taken, a 270gn sp works like magic.

Full speed factory loads have a flat enough trajectory that I was able to shoot confidently out to 330yds on plains game in RSA - though here in the UK the majority of my shooting is at less than 100yds.

Of all my rifles, this is the one I have the greatest affection for. Should the day come when I am limited to only one rifle this is the one I would keep! Africa, Moose - whatever - the day will come - You've got the rest .... you NEED a larger calibre!! [Big Grin]

Rgds Ian

[ 02-24-2003, 13:16: Message edited by: IanF ]

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I would go for a larger caliber, and a manlicher is for me

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no 'calibre gap' here in terms of an animal you can't shoot but I think like you I would be tempted with a more mid range rifle that can do nearly the same as the 30-06 (at least in the UK) but with a bit more comfort. My own choice would be a 6.5x55 or 7x57.

If your 243 is set up exclusively for roe and your 30-06 exclusively for reds then a 6.5 or 7mm08 for everything can make sense.

My gripe against the 7m08 is the poor factory ammunition choice which I think has 140gr as the max bullet weight. The 7x57 goes from 120gr to 175gr and in the shops I frequent is actualy better available allthough this might be a fluke.

If you hanker for a change also consider changing the type of rifle. A synthetic for foul weather, a lighter rifle for those long days (I really would caution against a heavier one which seems great in the office and at the range but is ghastly in reality) a takedown for travelling etc.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a target rifle? I shoot my target rifles way more than my hunting rifles. We have matches every week and in season every weekend.

Then there are combination guns too.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not a nice single shot in 7x57R or a similar calibre? A light, handy rifle with a sensible scope should be just the ticket for stalking the woods!

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Tim1>
posted
Tim

I opted for a Tikka All Weather. My other two rifles are Tikkas also but Master Deluxes. If I had my time again I would opt for a trio of All Weathers.

I originally set out for a stainless synthetic Remington but you try getting your hands on one. [Confused] I had one on order since the end of last summer after my brother took the last one that Edgars had in stock. To avoid waiting any longer, I swapped for the Tikka. I'll be shooting it in at Minsterley early doors this Saturday.

My brother has two Sako stainless synthetics - I don't think you'll be disapointed with a Sako 75 in whatever calibre you ultimately opt for.

Best wishes

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:

Of all my rifles, this is the one I have the greatest affection for. Should the day come when I am limited to only one rifle this is the one I would keep! Africa, Moose - whatever - the day will come - You've got the rest .... you NEED a larger calibre!! [Big Grin]

Rgds Ian

I agree with IanF. 375HH is the smallest Safari-classified rifle and therefore should every hunter at least have this one. You never know when things changes. What if you get limited to only one rifle. You love to hunt for roe, but sometimes you go hunting for moose, and additionally the government classifies that Moose-hunting requires the power at least equal to what 375HH delivers.

Hey... 375 it is then!

Or what if you get a 2 weeks notice to go on your dreamhunt after something that requires at least 375HH.... uh..!

I do hope that things do not change for the worse, and I need to believe so, but 375HH is nice to own anyway - fun shooting too.

I feel that I have all the calibers i need (my wife have told me to feel that)

22 LR
222 rem
12/.222 combined (Bought from Caine - I belive you know him IanF?)
6,5x55
375HH

And of course a 12 gaughe shotgun...

Posts: 69 | Location: Europe | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Midlander

I too would "Go large" and consider a 375H&H.

But if you really wanted a 7mm themn I think the 7mm Rem Mag may complement what you already have. If you consider the 30 06 with a heavy bullet as your rifle for under 180 metres then you actualy NEED [Wink] to own a flat shooter in case you need to use it in wide open spaces, like the Highlands, Salisbury Plain or on a trip to Namibia.

I was in Litts the other day. They have a .50BMG AI sniping rifle if you really want to have something a bit unusual!

Regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote