THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM EUROPEAN HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  European Big Game Hunting    verney carron impact& sagittaire nt?

Moderators: Pete E
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

verney carron impact& sagittaire nt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
If you know about Quality and pris of these guns impact and sagittaire nt(in France). please tell me about. I have very good experience concerning unique(both pistols and rimfire rifles excellent guns ). thanks in advance
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
made in Portugal

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Bobby
what do you mean by made in Portugal!!? ce nest pas possible. verney carron is supposed to be made in FRANCE not portugal!!!�#"=#�" [Mad] anyway nowdays nothing is original! better be made in Portugal than Taiwan or china. is sagittaire worth to buy?
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most FN firearms are made in Portugal and the USA. Their quality is as good or better than those made in Belgium.

So what if some Verney-Carron guns are made there too? Welcome to the global commerce of the 21st century. Which, BTW, has been going on for quite some time.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion, I don't want to start an argument,
but my next rifle will be a Sako...

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Orion1, I beg to differ. Belgian made firearms are (were ?) of higher quality than those presenrly produced abroad (look out the B25 series of shotguns and double rifles or even the the original HP 35 pistol). Now, to soften my contradicting you, I must say there are so few left -apart from the presentation grades- that there's not much left to compare, indeed [Frown]

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyway I didn't get the answer to my question. The question was if Sagitare NT combination gun is a good gun or not for the price?it dosen*t realy matter where it is made. it seems the hunters don't beleive in the quality of guns made in southern europe,because even here there many hunters longing for those old husqvarna (sewdish made) or sako or tikka made in finland(now these are made in italy).I was looking for a good combination gun at low price and french usually means good quality at low price
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well just like Andr� most of the guns I own are Belgian made, and I wouldn't touch an Impact or a Sagitaire even if it was given to me. And yes Unique made some of the best .22 ever.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi BObby
I feel that you are a little bit belgian chavuinist. No doubt belgian made guns are fine guns but expensive too. i own a savage 24 known as cheap trash ,but after some modification it fil the bil for my needs. i feel uneasy to bring a hand made gun with engraving costing many k$ to the swamp. I was looking for a combo and they had one in 12/9,3x74R wich i found intresting. ow i am freightend after your comments [Roll Eyes]
Danny

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Danny, I wouldn't want a Verney-carron. I'm not saying that quality is bad but in comparison to what I'm used to, the industrial finition definitely turns me off.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Andre
I understand when you get used to nice handmade guns it is hard to compare them with factory made. guns both cheap and expensive can kill equally well.my old savage with carfully handloaded ammos shoots enough good for my hunting situations
best regards
Danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny,

I don't know about Verney-Carron rifles but my one and only shotgun is a Sagittaire (12 ga). It is 12 years old, hasn't been cared for that much, but never had a repair. It's a good gun for what I use it for, i.e. situations varying from cold and wet in Ireland in winter, to hot and dry in Africa. Kicks damn f#*�ing hard though (2.5 kg) [Big Grin]

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andr� Mertens:
Orion1, I beg to differ. Belgian made firearms are (were ?) of higher quality than those presenrly produced abroad (look out the B25 series of shotguns and double rifles or even the the original HP 35 pistol). Now, to soften my contradicting you, I must say there are so few left -apart from the presentation grades- that there's not much left to compare, indeed [Frown]

By any objective measure of quality, I doubt it. When subjective definitions enter in, we can be here arguing until we die of old age.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi KB
I am glad at least one positive comment heard, if you ask my opinion about french guns. here some to say : once a french old timer who had killed a plenty of boars( almost all with shotgun) asked me to try his sxs caliber 16 with some locally loaded cartouch � ball and it was an under lever gun : the first 2 shots i fired at 20 yds at a target made a one nice hole a bit larger one and at 40 yds it printed a real side by side holes touchin each others and i shot the old gun until we run out ofammo and it did the same i wish i could find a gun today which could preform so nicely(no wonder that the old man didn't need a rifle) and the others was a unique rifle in 22 which was one of most accurate rifles i've ever tried no matter off hand or from the bench it would put all the bullets in a one hole only among all the rifles i,ve tried a sako rimfire could do the same. yes sentiments and objectivity are often long from each others and it was why i asked about this gun(sagittair NT combination) to hear about it's accuracy ,mechanical strength or failiures .
best regards
danny
ps- I am not french citizen and not partial.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny Pay
Have you looked at the Chapuis combination guns? They make both an O/U and a S/S cape gun. They also make a 12ga. S/S with rifle sights, rib cut for a scope mount, that is regulated for Brenneke slugs. The test targets I have seen looked real good.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi NE 450
the chappuis guns have a good reputation and prices are much higher than verny carrons. the price is a sad reality which force someone to buy or not buy . if all my rifles were topped with zeis scopes then surely i was a millioner [Big Grin] .in the same price class i can find plenty of italian made combos or those from brno.
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny, have you looked at the Valmet/Tikka U/O. They seem kind of heavy, but a friend of mine has had good service from his,[the scope mount worked good to] and you can get different bbls that do not have to be factory fitted, which is good if there is a limit on the number of guns you can have.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ne 450
i actually gave an old tikka combo 12/222(30 years old M70 hammer gun but i excellent condition) to my son a couple of years ago.we were hunting in southern Sweden and after a unsucessful roe deer hunt(we found no bucks enough good to kill) we found a lot of broken claybirds in the forest (barley 4 inches in diamter)and i asked my son to put a few of them on the oposite side of the valley more than 200 meters away to see if the guns and scope are still regulated and shoots well after some days of rough walking and stalking. i shot a first serie of 3 shots and get all 3 targets off hand then my son told me let me try and he got 2 of 3 the first shot was a bit to low and he missed i told him to compensate and then he got the rest.The ammo was Sako's newly product 50 gr Barnes X @970 m/s and gun was topped with an old El paso weaver 4X. he told me dad can i have this gun and I gave it to him. actually valmet or tikka are very good shooting irons and among my favorits but these are heavy and ugly guns and the french one looks much better and weights a half kilo less.
regards
danny

one of us
posted Hide Post
chauvuinist is something typical French!

Belgians laugh with their country: it's artificial: Most of us are not proud about 'being a Belgian'= monkey country.
You got the Flemish (dutch speaking)and the wallons (french speaking)and the politicians of both cannot stand each other.
One thing is for sure: my FN HP (made in Li�ge)shoots every 9 mm i put in it (facory and reloads) ; something i cannot say about my Glock 9mm.Most Belgian guns are very good and very rugged. I have seen some french manurhin revolvers
that after a few thousand rounds had serious problems. At the IWA in Germany i saw a lot of French guns but i rather spend more money on a quality firearm like SAKO, Browning, Winchester, Tikka, HEYM, Ruger, S&W, Beretta. [Smile] So i think if you buy a French gun that is made on a monday or a friday you'r in trouble.. [Wink] But if you got one that is made on a wednesday.....

Greetings From Flanders where the beer is the best of the all world. Try DUVEL.

Dirk scout

Posts: 149 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Verney Carron 12 bore o/u. It is a very well balanced, nicely engraved/finished with a straight hand stock.... However it has a ss/trigger mechanism with the trigger on a swivel plate. Internally this has complex springs and parts more akin to a watch than a gun. The trigger pulls are over 7lbs! Some years ago I had them lightened by a top craftsman but over time double discharges resulted. Recently I had to send the gun back to V.Carron St. Etienne to have it fixed as I could not find a UK gunsmith who was prepared to do the work- several looked at it and declined!
I finished up with a large bill, an overhauled gun, in top order but back to 7lb trigger pulls!
It is a lovely gun though!

Posts: 337 | Location: Devon UK | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Problem with a gun:
Here is where it's starts: if you need a spare part or to replace a part well, you can have a long waiting period unles... you buy a gun from a wellknown manufacturer!

It's still warm in the B-monkey country

Posts: 149 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote