Notify
Tools

Red and Sika rut 2010 (part 1)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all fellow ARers

It is a while since I have taken the time to compile a real romper so thought it was about time I did.

I have not been back long after travelling upto Dumfireshire for Red Stags and then over to the Borders to catch up with the ever elusive Dawyck bloodline Sika! Hunt period was 21st to 27th Sept inclusive.

First of all a run down on equipement etc used.

Rifle was my 7mm Rem Mag using 160 grn Sierra Game Kings with 67 grns RL22 behind going out at circa 2950 feet.

Scope was NXS 3.5-15x50 and then a quick change for the Sika and slapped on my S&B 3-12x50 illuminated (fine ret).

Before all this started and especially at this time of year I always ramp up the fitness levels. The hills in the Borders can be lung busters and to make sure I had the best chance possible of connecting with one of these magnificent animals I increased the CV fitness levels by a routine of a 6 mile run Mon, Weds and Fridays with a 3 miler on the tuesday and thursdays. Atleast I could make ground more easily then if I spotted a nice Stag out on the hill or in fact just to be prepared for every eventuality.

Another job was to check zero of my rig and even though I have my own range in a friends field, the 4 days running upto the 21st were horrendous weather wise. It was blowing a gale and the rain was horizontal.

I resolved this by taking a trip to Mike Dickenson's at Carlton Moor range. Mike can't do enough for you and nothing is too much bother and it is a fantastic facilty which is only 45 mins away from home.

Loads and zero checked this rifle prints sub half groups consistently and it was time to pack all the gear.

Onto Griffs place and I jetted up the M6 (well not exactly as I take it easy these days and am into economy - yawn) and made good time to get upto Griffs ground to try for a Red Stag.

We had been glassing the area in pervious weeks but hadn't seen any bigguns out on the open area of hill but we were confident that come the rut this would change.

We took the Kwaker 650 quad and the hill trailer to enable an easy extraction in case we managed to connect. We got out on the ground a little later than expected but just in time to glass a very nice mature stag mooching out of the mature forestry and out onto the open hill.

We plotted a course and hatched out a plan. The wind was PERFECT and so it was full steam ahead. We could make out a parcel of hinds on the hill and this big boy was making his way out to them. Early on as he was making his way up the hill he let out a full blown roar and started to knock about a wooden frame with his antlers which is used in connection with the sheep out on the hill. There was alot of roaring going on and it surprised me as it was fairly early on with regards to the rut.

As always with reds you think that just over the next hill they will be there. Carefully creeping creeping up to peer over the top. Hang on a minute. How did he get over there?! You know the type of thing. He had covered alot of ground and we had to make up the gap before the hinds he was with would rumble us.

Off we went hot in pusuit just like Sheriff JW Pepper (NOBODY cuts and runs on Sheriff JW Pepper) Big Grin. We made up alot of ground in quick fashion and then we could make out his super antlers peeping out over the millenia grass. At this point he was about 250 yards away. I then crawled on my belly to get into a good positon on him. As careful as I was and after getting into the final position, he knew something was up. Not sure if he spotted me full on as it were or if the hinds were spooked but he looked over in our direction and I knew I only had a couple of seconds to make the shot. At this point he had also truned slightly quartered onto me. Time to send that 160 grn 7mil pill on its way. The shot was good and we both heard a reassuring and resounding thwack as the bullet entered the left shoulder and transited through the lung area and out the other side.

There was only a slight reaction to the shot as he gave a slight flinch and then walked for about 30 yards as if not touched. It was over though and he collapsed only to release the last breath of D&G air he was to breath as he dropped onto the ground on one side.

I was over the moon and he was a super super stag and a quality 10 pointer.

I have only shot 4 Galloway Stags and one of the other 3 was of a similar quality to this one but not as big in body size. They are a true prize to behold and on the hook he weighed in at 132 KGs or for our American breathren 290 lbs.

I was eternally grateful to Griff as I don't think either of us expected to connect so early on with such a magnificent beast.

Back to base for tea and cakes as they say and then up early the next morning to try for another. It was a successful morning and I managed to bag a young knobber just before it started to absolutely chuck it down. We were both wet to the skin as we were in the rain for a good hour and we then got back to the truck and unwittingly took our pants off (I can hear you say "eh up here we go") so we didn't drench the seats and other soaked garnments. Then we both errupted with laughing as we realised what the scene would look like to any passers by. Broke Back Mountain comes to mind Eeker

Anyhow, we had a change of clothers and something to eat and then back out as we had seen a switch the previous night which Griff was going to try for.

Back out again and visibility was about 60 yards. The cloud base was low as we are quite high up and we thought it was a potential write off. Not to be. The cloud lifted and visibility was restored once again. We spotted another big stag out to our right hand side coming out of the trees and out onto the hill. He was a biggun possibly bigger then the one I had shot the night before. We started to talk about whether we should hatch out a plan to try for him. We started to close the distance (800 yards) while we were plotting but as we did, the switch came into view on the opposite side. We left the big boy and Griff got my NXS suited to his eye and we made an approach. I had the vid camera and tri pod and Griff had my 7 mag.

He was following a hind and a calf out onto the hill and once he was out of site we made up the dead ground. Emerging from a gulley Griff got the rifle into position. As soon as he had got into position Griff sent another 7mil 160 grn on its way and I wasn't anticipating him taking the shot so quickly. I did still manage to get some footage and the staggie was down. Got heart and lung shot and again much celebration.

Anyway all in all a super 1.5 days was had and it was time for me to pack up and head over to the Borders for round 2.

The weather had picked up tremendously and after I got ensconsed I met my guide Dougie for the first time in nearly a year.

Dougie was in fine fettle and had said he had seen plenty of Sika moving around the place and they were starting to get out onto the open hill a bit as the rut was approaching.

The format here is that you are given a 1:10,000 Landranger map and shown a 3 hour route. Dougie drops you off and then picks you up at dark at the end of the route. The hills are fairly hefty steep sided things and it is a definite advantage to have a certain level of fitness to get about the place.

Once out onto the hill I decieded to hold up for half an hour to glass over a gulley which led from the treeline out onto the hill in the hope that I might catch a stag mooching out onto the hill. Actually after about half an hour I very luckily just caught a glimpse of some movement in my perphiperal vision to the left. I glanced round with my binos - BLOODY HELL!!!

A mature magnificent 8 pointer must have jumped the sheep fence without me seeing him. How did he do that? I got into position as he was good to take but another 20 yards and he would be out of sight and I would have had to make a compromised approach on him. Quickly into position and up for the shot. No, no good. I thought I had more clearance. Quick up again and adjust positon before he disappears. Bugger he won't stop. Just as I was about to send one as he was walking he stopped. Bingo and another 7 mil on its way. Again an almighty thwack as the bullet hit flesh and bone. A high shoulder shot was the order of the day to anchor these terrificly resilient animals.

He was down and I couldn't believe how lucky I was. The hunting gods were certainly looking down on me tonight. This was the result:-

I couldn't believe it and I was delighted. Back to meet Dougie just as it was getting dark and then the hard work of retrieving this super beast.

Out the next morning and half way into the route I made out a couple of hinds on the treeline. I made an approach just in case and came round a hill to pop up below them only to find this small 8 knocking around with them and a quick sitting shot made sure he was in the bag.

He was in a tricky place and we had to go and get the Argo to extract him.

Then cup of tea time back at base.

The scenery here is stunning and I find the place compelling to come back to. Just some pics to give you an impression of what it is like.

My thanks to Dougie for making one of my main hunting ambitions come true and hope you enjoyed the ride.

PS going to our patch in Gloucestershire this weekend to try for a Fallow and then up to D&G the weekend after so there maybe a part 2 and 3 to come. No that is tempting fate so I will take that back.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Great story man!

Thanks for taking the time to write it up jon, it's always great to read good hunt reports.

Are you coming to the AR meet? It would be nice to finally meet up.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
Nice write up Jon

And a beauty of a Sika Stag, it is always hard to tell from a photo but he looks like a medal to me.

Just for interest what are the measurements

I recon on the Main beams being around 50cm, the inside span about 45cm and the brows must be at least 20cm.

Let me know how far out I am Wink

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mighty fine Sika that Jon
defo well worth the wait,
and not a bad Galloway Red either
tu2

Posts: 238 | Location: coventry, England | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fellas glad you enjoyed it.

Ghuey I would love to come to the AR bash and I thoroughly enjoyed the first one. With work, a young daughter and a true commitment in Gloucestershire to keep the fallow numbers down it is time that is against me/us. We have so much to do in the winter period that sadly the stalking we have takes priority.

However, I have another idea and will PM you.

Dave

Thanks very much. Dougie reckoned he was medal class. He is being boiled out as we speak and I will measure him next week (hopefully as he should be done by then).

I will definitely let you know.

Just out of interest and I would value your opinion as I know you have quite extensive experience with Sika - have a look at the photo below. The one on the left is Bronze and the one on the right is silver. These were taken by a very very reputable stalker and his son in the Borders area but further down the valley.

I mean I am over the moon even with it being a super representation but ofcourse I am interested if it is in fact medal class. Apart from anything else it is all an interesting part of the natural history of the species.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thank you Richard

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
You can see the difference between the two heads

The one on the right being slightly thicker set a little longer a little wider.

Yours looks to have bigger correnets a bit thicker set and judging by the deep and thick brow tines to be from an older animal than the two boiled out ones.

I have an excel spreadsheet for the CIC measurements if you want it.

Here is a pic of two medal sika I have up at home.

The Smaller one is a CIC Gold Japanese Sika

The Larger One is a CIC Silver Manchurian Sika it was a cull stag due to its out turned tines.

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Yes agreed Dave

Also yes I can see the bottom one is Manchurian.

I have been told that the Sika in the Forest of Bowland (Lancs) are Manchurian/Jap hybrids.

They definitely have the splayed antler confirmation to a degree. That's why I was specifically after a Dawyck Jap as to me they look very typical in Jap antler confirmation.

One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
jon

great write up and beautyfull trophys, now please remember i am a dane and know pretty much nothing, could you give me an idea about where in england you actually were when you were shooting these magnificent animals.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
The Japanese above was a 90% pure Cevus Nippon as it was one of the ones DNA tested.

The Poole basin sika are 90% pure and the New forest 95% pure. Both areas sika are belived to have retained the same genetic purity since their intoduction to the UK.

I have seen quite a few heads from bowland and suggested that they are not pure Japanese as the antler conformation suggests a Manchurian influence without the size of a pure Manchurian

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes this is the Borders area of Scotland (South Central). The closest town is Moffat and or Peebles if you would like to look it up on the map.

Thanks

Jon

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Jon, that is a great Sika, the Red is pretty tasty also.

Is that the 7mag you were going to have your brother fit the tube on?

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of profyhunter
posted Hide Post
Waidmannheil! Jon!

Thanks for sharing!

Phon: +498419819241
Fax: +498419819245
http://www.hunt-club-taiga.de/index.php

Posts: 556 | Location: Germany Kazakstan Kyrgyzstan | Registered: 29 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks again both

Yes Brian that is the one. I will PM you details.

Thanks

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Waidmannsheil!

An outstanding effort writing the report and sending along the photos. Your story a good read & great photos - overall, excellent!

I've only ever seen two Sika in my life & shot one of them (near Inverness).

Trust me, he appears pretty spindly compared to the two you've got there; especialy the first one - Well Done.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic trophies, the sika is fantastic and the stag is also a beaut and it sounds like the extraction was OK too.

I will try to post a couple reports up soon.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry and Bog

Yes Boggy would be great to hear any accounts of how you got on.

Cheers

Jon

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Just had official confirmation from the game dealer that on the hook the weight was 132 KG's or again into pounds 290.

We did actually think he weighed heavier than he did when we got him on the first set of scales. The first set of scales at the Dumfrieshire depot apparently become inaccurate when over 100 KG's but it was re-weighed at the Yorkshire depot apparently and that was the official weight.

That would explain why Griff did his back in!

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed your report Jon, very well done, thanks for sharing. I add a hearty Waidmannsheil to you on that Sika, wow Smiler Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Just had official confirmation from the game dealer that on the hook the weight was 132 KG's or again into pounds 290.

We did actually think he weighed heavier than he did when we got him on the first set of scales. The first set of scales at the Dumfrieshire depot apparently become inaccurate when over 100 KG's but it was re-weighed at the Yorkshire depot apparently and that was the official weight.

That would explain why Griff did his back in!

I have seen some big Sika but never one as big as that! Cool

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dom

Dzve sorry I should have been clear that was the weight of the Red.

The Sika on hook weight was around the 55kg weight

thanks

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
wonderful place and excellent trophies. Congratulations

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Jon, that's a mighty sika and a lovely red. I don't think you look pleased enough with the Red though! Anyhow a question: Do you think that rifle is long enough? I expect you have to do a little less stalking and take a yard off your rangefinder measurements? ;-)

All the best

G

Posts: 188 | Location: staffordshire | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are a couple of cracking stags you have there!

I was curious why you used the Nightforce on reds and S&B on Sika, instead of just the S&B for both.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,
theres a simple answer to that!
When you have 15 rifles and only 10 scopes, then theres going to be a shortage somewhere along the line.
The rifle had just been built by border Barrels and was been field tested.Jon didn't have time to change the scope from the nightforce to the S&B which was already on a working outfit.

There is no Doubt that the S&B is far superior to the Nightforce, and that was clearly visible in the fading light that day..
I can tell you that the S&B is now mounted on said rifle, and has just claimed a fallow buck in the early hours of Sat morning..

regards
Griff

Posts: 1178 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the cat's pajamas. I can't think of a place I'd rather visit and hunt than in Scotland. I just sit back and dream of being there. Great story and terrific hunt.
Thanks for the pics and story
kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fellas

Marc

The land where we were hunting the Reds lends itself to a mid to long range shot and hence the reason for choosing the NXS over the Schmidt.

I have actually done a low light test side by side with the NXS and S&B and I genuinely cannot tell any difference in low light performance. Others say they can but I am going to carry out this test again using different types of image to focus on e.g. a deer target and then a black and white target.

DJM carried out a similar test a few weeks ago and it is posted on the Euro forum. I am completely impartial when assessing the scopes as I have both and so I am actually more interested in the results.

I did actually feel more comfortable when my Schmidt was on in terms of low light but I am sure this is purely born out of what I assume to be a better scope in low light as it is German and also going of what others have said - I think it was psychological. As I say I am going to carry out the test again within the next couple of weeks (for my own sanity/information).

Hope that answers the question.

Thanks

Jon

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
I recon that with the NXS and the S&B both having 50mm Objectives that it will be a close one to call the difference

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Dave

No difference as far as I am concerned in terms of low light performance.

Sorry for the tardy reply but just re-visted this thread for other reasons.

Best

JB

PS still haven't had the Sika scored but intend to get this done within the next month.

Will let you know..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a couple more reports to add this season!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
I've got a few plans afoot Bog so hope to be in a position to put another report together.

Fingers crossed.